Chapter 14

Azalea's POV

            A week has passed since my marriage with Christopher. On our wedding night, Christopher promised me he wouldn’t touch me until I was ready. As he promised, he didn’t touch me. Even while we slept, he made sure he slept on his side of the bed, leaving me tons of room. I was relieved, but still dumbfounded by his sudden cordiality. He treated me the same after that day, teasing me, faking our romance around all other eyes, and occasionally joining my play date with the twins. I grew accustomed to life at the Cardinia castle and life seemed pretty good. I had access to the library and garden, the twins were good company, I still had Kayla when I felt homesick, and Christopher and I were actually getting along better now. I was used to the fake romance and it didn’t affect the friendship that was building between us.

            This life didn’t last too long though, as darkness fell over the kingdom over the grave news. One night, while Christopher and I sat in the bed, each reading a book, a servant came in, delivering the news of the king summoning us to his suite. Christopher had a sudden look of panic in his eyes as he dashed to his father’s room. I followed, but couldn’t keep up with him in my nightgown. I was curious why he was so frantic, but once I entered the room, I knew why. He looked exactly the same as my grandfather did, before he died. The king laid in bed, stroking his wife’s hair with one hand, and holding Christopher’s hand in the other. I looked around the room to see everyone in tears, everyone, except for Christopher. He kneeled at his father’s bedside, listening to his father’s last words.

            “Son, I’m sorry I have to leave you such a burden. If only I was stronger.”

            “No father, you were a great king. You’ve done well.”

The king directed his gaze at me and gestured me towards him.

            “You’ll make a fine queen of this kingdom. Though you may not be a Cardinian, I see in you much potential. You and my son will bring this kingdom into a new era.”

            “Thank you for your kind words, father.”

He looked again at his son.

            “You’ll be a great king son, no matter what anybody says.”

Queen Amelia broke down crying by her husband’s side. He wiped away a tear from her wet cheek and kissed her hand.

            “Take good care of our children. I love you dear.”

He closed his eyes and gave his last words to the world.

            “I love all you. May we meet again in the afterlife.”

We heard the old king sigh as the hands that held his wife’s loosened and dropped.

            I watched as the room was filled with gloom and sadness. Christopher slowly got off his knees and silently walked out of the room, followed by his younger brother. I looked at the twins who watched their mother weeping as a few tears of their own fell. I took each of them by the hand and led them back to their room. After I tucked them into bed, the immediately fell asleep since they’ve never stayed up so late before.

            I gently closed the door behind me and paced back to Christopher’s and my room. I opened the door as delicately as possible, in case Christopher was asleep. To my surprise, he was sitting in front of the fireplace, with his head in his hands. I heard the soft sounds of lamentation as I walked closer. He placed his hands on his knees and stood up.

            “Please leave me alone Azalea, I don’t want to be seen like this, especially by you.”

That’s when I realized he wasn’t the tough man he always put on. In the inside, he was still a boy, a lonely, lost boy.

“Leave me be!” He yelled.

Despite what he requested, I stood in front of him and quickly wrapped my arms around him without hesitation. I let his head rest on my shoulder as I whispered words of comfort into his ears.

“You’re not weak. It’s alright to cry. Sometimes you have to let it out. I’ll always be here for you, whenever you need me. I’m your wife after all, you can depend on me.”

At first Christopher refused to give in to tears, but eventually he cried. He wrapped his arms around my neck and cried into my shoulder. After a while, he calmed down and murmured into my ear.

            “Azalea, will you promise me something?”

            “What is it?”

            “Promise you’ll stay by my side.”

The question was so simple but complex. If it were the old me, my answer would have been different, but standing there, with him in my arms, the answer was staring at me right in the eyes.

            “Forever and always.”

____________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! How'd you like it?