Chapter 31

Azalea's POV:

          After Mariana was back in Jamille’s care, I sat in the room, wondering what Garrett’s ending meant. Did he know something about the story that no one else knew? Suddenly the door opened and the Cardinian royal historian entered, looking slightly surprised.

            “I am so sorry your majesty,” he stammered, “I did not know you were here. I shall leave you in peace to your studies.”

He was about to turn and leave but I stopped him.

            “All is well; you do not need to leave. I was about to depart anyway.”

I started stacking the books laid out and grabbed The Fire Ruby, ready to head out when I had an abrupt question. I showed him the book.

            “Do you happen to know anything about the author of this book?”

He looked at it before giving me an apologetic look.

            “I am sorry your majesty but I do not know anything about the author. This book was written maybe a century or two ago.”

I gave a disappointed sigh.

            “Do you perhaps know anyone who might know the author?”

He thought about it for a second.

            “There is the retired historian. He might know.”

            “Where may I find him?”

            “Last I heard he became a hermit living in the forest border between Cardinia and Pyrus.”

            “Thank you.”

He bowed to me as I left the room, running to the stables. I quickly put on my cloak which I stashed in a box in the stable- in case I ever wanted to sneak off like this- before mounting Celera.

            I rode with haste to the border and searched for the retired historian. That was when I noticed the small patch of smoke in the sky. I led Celera towards the smoke, hoping that was where I could find the man I was looking for. When we reached our destination, I realized this must have been the place. The smoke was from the fire that was lit a few feet from a hermitage. A man exited the small hut and through his shaggy white beard, I saw a hint of a smile.

            “Who has come at this hour to see an old man like me?”

I dismounted and walked slowly towards this old man. I proceeded to take off the hood of my cloak and made direct eye contact. He looked at me as if he knew me. For a moment, I expected him to call my name but instead he just nodded for me to explain myself.

            “I was wondering if perchance you could help me with something.”

            “What is it you require at this time of night?”

            “You used to be the royal historian of the Williams family, am I correct?”

            “You have heard correctly. Anything I can assist you with?”

I pulled out The Fire Ruby.

            “Do you know anything about the author of this book?”

He took the book in his hands and delicately flipped through the pages.

            “I am sorry but the author of this book passed away over a century ago.”

            “So you do know the author.” I stated excitedly.

            “Never have I met the author but I have met his descendents.”

            “Who might his descendents be?”             

            “Why, the royal children of these lands of course.”

Confusion swept over me.

            “What are you trying to convey to me?”

            “The author of this story did not write this to entertain children, but to educate the minds of his people. He wrote this to share how the three kingdoms of our world formed. The author of this story is, in fact, King Leonard I, first high king of Kerton.”

________________________________________________________

Hey everybody! Sorry about the short chapter but I didn't want to put off posting a chapter for another week (since it's been 3 weeks since the last chapter). 

What did you all think about this chapter? The Fire Ruby is not a children's book but a historical book? O_O I know right? 

So... love it, hate it? Let me know! Please comment and vote, I really appreciate the feedback.  ^_^