Chapter 39

Azalea's POV: 

        We hid our horses within the forest outskirts as we neared the castle. Peering through the shrubs to evaluate the security of the castle, we found guards in each entrance at the castle walls. One possible choice to enter was to somehow scale the tall walls without being caught. That being a ridiculous idea, we voted that was the last possible resort. As we continued suggesting plans to infiltrate the castle, we didn't notice the shadow which crept from the darkness behind us.

          "Are you trying to sneak in?"

I couldn't help myself; I jumped a bit from the unexpected voice. Christopher and Mitchell instinctively drew out their swords but withdrew from their stance when they looked upon our stranger.

          I watched as Christopher's eyebrows furrowed and he looked down at the lady who was clearly wearing my extra riding attire- from the vest to the boots. Her strawberry blonde hair was up and she held a dagger in her right hand.

          "What are you doing here Jamille? You should be back at the castle."

          "How did you even find us?" Mitchell acquired.

That's when we all noticed the adolescent boy who stood behind her. The rugged boy seemed to be afraid to show his presence in front of us- as if we would harm him in a cruel way. Jamille pointed at the boy as if that explained everything.

          "You got that boy to bring you to us?" Mitchell asked in disbelief.

          "Many of the men are out in battle or declined my request so they may protect their own family. This boy was the only one who would take the money to track you all down."

          "How did you find us?" Mitchell turned his attention to the boy.

          "It ain't hard. You made no effort to cover your tracks; easiest job I'd ever done."

Christopher silently swore to himself for his blunder.

          "I will ask once more, are you trying to sneak in?”

          “What does it matter to you? You shouldn’t even be here.” Christopher answered coldly.

Jamille strutted up to Christopher, stood tall and dignified, and held onto his gaze.

          “Because I can help.”

          “How?” Mitchell looked as a child who had just found his new toy.

Jamille looked down, as if ashamed about the truth.

          “I used to live here.”

          “How?” Mitchell repeated.

I could tell Jamille was a tad annoyed at the soldier.

          “Garrett and I, our real father is Lord McAllen. After his death, we were adopted by the Lord and Mistress of the Ruba household.”

          “And how would that help us?”

          “I know all the secret passageways.”

          “Well, I daresay that is convincing Christopher.” Mitchell patted his friend on the back. “What do you say? Shall we take up this lady’s offer?”

Mitchell was awfully jubilant for this situation but Christopher, however, was not. He was stagnant as he enunciated his answer out.

          “No, you will not be joining us.”