Chapter 4

Azalea's POV

            The next morning Prince Christoper and I headed for the throne room where we would tell my parents about our “undying love for each other." Christopher and I established our love story yesterday when I came to his room. We met at the border one day when I snuck away from the palace. He saw me gathering flowers and approached me. We started talking even though we both came from different kingdoms and after a few more secret meetings, we fell madly in love with each other. Short, simple, and easy to remember.

            While we walked, we didn’t talk at all. I glanced at his face and thought about the boy I was engaged to. If he wasn’t a laid back prince that fooled around with girls, he might be the ideal suitor for girls throughout both our kingdoms. He caught me looking at him and smirked.

            “Enjoying the view I see."

I’m pretty sure I blushed furiously as I felt the heat rise up my face. I let out a huff and looked away from him.

            “I just wanted to tell you that even though we’re pretending to be in love, don’t expect me to fall in love with you for real."

I regretted saying harsh words like that, but it was the truth, I never really did plan on loving him. The only reason why I agreed to this was for my country. It was the least I could do as princess of Pyrus. Prince Christopher looked ahead and replied with a simple, “I know."

            As we got closer to the throne room, Christopher held my hand and pulled me closer to him so our arms were touching each other. While the guards opened the doors, I kept repeating in my head remember, you love him. You’re madly in love with him. If you can’t have him, you will die. When we finally stood before my parents, my father’s gaze immediately went to Prince Christopher’s hands wrapped around mine.

            “What is the meaning of this?" He pointed out.

Right when I was about to explain, Prince Christopher spoke back.

            “King Pyrdian, Queen Sophia, I am in love with your daughter."

He spoke with such a calm yet determined voice. It was the voice of someone who didn’t fear, but respected my parents. My father looked at me.

            “Azalea…are you?"

            “Yes father, I love him too."

            “But…how did the two of you possibly meet?"

Prince Christopher was the one who ended up explaining again, which was good since I was not really good at acting all this out.

            “We met at the border. I saw your daughter picking flowers by a stream and instantly fell in love at first sight with her. We kept meeting each other and when I found out she was the princess of Pyrus, I couldn’t take it anymore and came here."

            “So, you didn’t just come here to compromise about our kingdoms' situation?"

            “No sire, I have another motive for coming here."

Prince Christopher let go of my hand and walked closer to my father. The guards posted next to the throne put their hands on their swords, ready in case Christopher strikes my father. He stopped when only the few stairs leading up to my parents Ethrones separated them. He did something that surprised even me. He got down on one knee and bowed, a traditional Pyran way of showing respect (how he knew about that I don’t know).

            “Great King Pyrdian, please allow me the honor of taking your daughter’s hand in marriage."

            After seeing this gesture, my mother automatically agreed. My father on the other hand, looked at me and asked me if I truly wanted to be with him. I nodded and walked next to Prince Christopher who continued kneeling. I tried looking at him with the best fake loving expression.

            “Father, I love this man, and I want to be with him until the day I die."

My mother clapped her hands together and smiled.

            “Well there you have it Pyrdian. They will make a beautiful couple."

My father didn’t say anything but he nodded his head as if to say I accept your marriage but I still don’t completely approve of you. Christopher smiled with a large grin and as if he was the happiest man in the world, picked me up by the waist and twirled me around in the air. If I didn’t know he was acting, I would have been convinced that he was in love with me. I smiled as I was spun around.

           After settling down, Christopher had to get back to his quarters to prepare for the journey back to Cardinia. I went along with him since I wanted it to seem like I didn’t want to part with him. Once we got back to his room however, he let go of my hand and immediately started packing. The loving smile he had on his face was gone and replaced with a tired look. He walked to the desk and picked up his book and then looked at me.

         “You’re still here?" he asked.

Did he forget my existence? I didn’t want to say anything to embarrass myself further so I coolly replied to him.

            “If I immediately go back to my room, people will suspect something. Should I not stay with you so it would seem like I actually love you?"

He shrugged it off and continued to pack. I felt awkward just standing at the door so I went over and sat on his bed. Then I suddenly remembered something.

            “Prince Christopher…?"

            “Call me Christopher, we are supposed to be a happy couple right?"

            “Then, Christopher, why did you kneel in front of my father?"

            “To..ask to marry you? I believe you were there."

I gave an annoyed sigh.

            “What I meant was that you didn’t have to go that far."

            “It convinced your parents didn’t it?"

            “Well, yes but.."

Our conversation was interrupted with a knock. Christopher told whoever it was to come in and a maid delivered a message that the carriage was ready.

            I walked with Christopher to the carriage and since we were followed by his guards, we had to continue with our act. I wasn’t too good at acting out romance since I wasn’t that experienced in the field of love. Christopher however just kept looking at me with a happy grin and loving eyes. Thankfully he pulled that off well so we looked like an innocent couple in love. A couple that needed no words to express how they felt towards each other.

            When we arrived at the carriage, I noticed my father and mother had come too. I held Christopher’s hand all the way until he entered the stagecoach. Even then, we peered out the window and enveloped my hands in his. He looked at me with his dazzling emerald eyes. Right before he left though, he motioned me to tiptoe closer to his face. He bent his head down, gently touched my cheek and kissed me. That’s right, he kissed me, and right in front of my parents! The kiss felt so long and warm as his lips lingered on mine. He pulled away and smiled at me. As the carriage pulled us away from each other he waved goodbye to me.

            “I’ll see you in a week Azalea!"

            “I can’t wait!" I yelled.

After his coach was in the distance I had a little panic attack in my heart.

What did he mean by a week?

________________________________________________________

Did you guys enjoy reading it? Please comment and tell me what you guys think! :D