Chapter 40

Bursting with happiness, Jamille ran to her brother and held his face in the palms of her hands. Mitchell tried unlocking the lock which kept Garrett in chains with great difficulty.

"Are you alright?" She asked him.

"I am now that you all are here."

The cuffs were taken off as he wrapped his arms around his sister. Tears rolled down Jamille's cheeks as she held him close. A smile crept onto my face at this reunion but then I noticed that Christopher wasn't with us. He was over by his mother, checking her condition. I rushed to his side and the two siblings broke their hold.

"Is she alright Garrett?"

"I am not quite sure; she was already here when they dragged me in."

Christopher lightly touched his mother's cheek; the queen let out a small breath. I suddenly remembered the fact that the castle was bare. I pulled out my dagger and proceeded to cut the queen's bindings.

"We have to get out of here as soon as possible. There were no guards roaming around. I'm suspecting there might be a trap underway."

"Her majesty is correct. I know a secret passageway that will be helpful in our escape." Garrett suggested.

"Lead the way Garrett." Christopher ordered.

Christopher carried his mother on top of his back as we all followed Garrett through the dark corridors of the castle. With each heavy breath the queen let out, Garrett quickened his pace.

"We're almost there!"

He announced the end of our journey and we thought we were home free, but that was short-lived. As Garrett turned a corner, we heard the sounds of yelling followed by an ambush of soldiers cornering us from all directions. The soldiers quickly captured us, binding all our hands with rope. A big burly man emerged from the shadows. Mitchell and Christopher's eyes widened as if they knew who this man was. With his arm, he dragged a semi-conscious Garrett.

"I'm sorry I let you down." Garrett mustered before being kicked in the abdomen.

"Let go of my brother!" Jamille screamed as a soldier had to hold her back.

"Oh, I'll let 'im go when I'm done teachin' 'im 'is lesson. M do not 'ppreciate escapees 'ere." He looked to the other men. "Take them away boys!"

He proceeded on dragging Garrett in a different direction than us.

"Wait, where are you taking him?" Jamille frantically called.

The rugged man just turned around and cruelly smiled at her.

"I'm sure M will enjoy seeing 'is favorite prisoner."

Jamille screamed and squirmed in the arms of her captor who ended up carrying the desperate lady.

We were led and thrown into a musty dungeon. The stone floors and walls cold and a window drew in a cold breeze.

"M will be along to see you soon." A man cackled.

For what seemed like forever, there was silence in the air. We had all wondered who M was, but we all assumed the situation would be switched- M would be the prisoner and we the interrogators.

The silence was finally broken when the late queen opened her eyes. Christopher quickly embraced his mother before regaining his composure.

"How are you feeling mother?"

Before she could answer though, a voice interrupted the freezing cell.

"My favorite prisoner is finally awake."