Chapter 18

Hey guys! Sorry that it's been so long since I've posted. I've been busy with homework, tests, yada yada yada. I was also trying to figure out how to write this chapter since I kind of had a little writer's block. Anyways, I hope you enjoy this chapter! Please tell me what you guys think! ^_^

BTW Don't you guys hate the E/p thingies? I wish they weren't there. 

_____________________________________________________

Azalea's POV

            A knock on the door announced the arrival of my royal dressers. They all hustled in holding brushes, jewelry, my dress, and other trinkets. I took in a big heavy sigh as the ritual began. I was placed in the washtub as they scrubbed me clean with some oils. I still felt weird having them bathe me since I normally do it myself on regular days, but they insisted. It was a Cardinian tradition for the princess to be “purified” for occasions such as today.

My hair was brushed and they placed on the corset over my undergarments. After enduring the pain that is the corset, they began my dressing. They garbed me in a strapless royal blue dress since that was Cardinia’s color. As expected from a Cardinian dress, it was designed with a tight fitting top and ruffles flowing down the bottom.  The top was embellished with many sparkling stones that matched with the high slippers I wore on my aching feet. They attached a long cape to the back of the dress that followed me wherever I would go. I was then dolled up with a sparkling diamond necklace and royal blue gloves.

Once they finished their job, they looked at me with such adoring eyes. Loads of compliments filled my ears as they commented on how beautiful I was or how I’m going to be such a great queen. I was just relieved that the servants liked me better now. When I first came to the castle, I was glared on by many of them and even heard remarks such as “That scrawny little princess seduced our prince in order to take the crown.”

Kayla came into the fitting room and nodded towards me just like she did on the day of my wedding. Two maids held up the ends of my cape as I started the long stroll to the throne room. When I arrived the throne room, I found myself in the eyes of a room filled with lords and dignitaries from both our countries. I kept my levelheadedness and slowly proceeded down the long stretch of red carpet that seemed to go on forever. Finally, I reached the steps to the throne and waited patiently. Unlike our wedding where Christopher waited me at the altar, I was the one to wait at the throne. I was only the queen through marriage, whilst Christopher was the high king by birthright; therefore I was the one to await him.

A fanfare announced Christopher’s arrival and everyone turned their heads to the hall from where he would enter. I spotted a pinch of golden hair through the cracks of the audience strut into the titan sized room. At last, he reached the red trail that led to me. He was dressed in the traditional king’s garment. I smiled at the figure that sported an outfit that matched my own. He smiled back at me and stood next to me. A minister came before us and thus began the coronation. The minister started with me.

“Princess Azalea Marcona of Pyrus, will you accept the responsibilities of our queen and uphold the laws that govern our great kingdom? To never betray your kingdom and be someone we look to for wisdom and guidance?”

“I, Princess Azalea Marcona, solemnly swear to accept the responsibilities and uphold the laws that govern our great kingdom. To never betray my kingdom and be someone you look to for wisdom and guidance.”

He nodded and directed himself towards Christopher.

As he spoke the initiation speech, I started getting sidetracked. I noticed my attention turned to Christopher, and how we changed so much since we met. It’s only been a few months, but he matured a lot though he still retained that handsomeness that drew every woman’s eyes.

I felt a small poke at my arm and realized that Christopher was looking at me. I instantly felt embarrassed as I turned to the minister who smiled. He held the Cardinian Queen’s tiara in his hand and I automatically curtsied down beside Christopher as he placed the crown on top of my head.

“I hereby dub Princess Azalea, daughter of High King Pyrdian, Queen of Cardinia.”

He then repeated the same gesture towards Christopher.

“I hereby dub thee, Prince Christopher Ethan Williams, High King of Cardinia.”

Applause filled the room as we both rose and faced them. He took my hand in his as we gracefully strode down the aisle to the main entranceway to the castle up ahead.

As the doors opened, we stepped out into the bright light of the day. Many citizens of Cardinia stood outside as we waved to them from the top of the steps. I was now the queen of these people; I had to rule this kingdom from now on. I glanced over at Christopher. To my surprise, his face turned stern and what happened next passed by in a blink of an eye.

Just when I was about to ask him what was wrong, he pushed me to the side. While I fell, I watched in terror as an arrow slit a little of Christopher’s arm and shot into the wall of the castle behind us. People screamed in fright and guards rushed into the crowd to find the assassin. I dashed over to Christopher who held his arm in agony. I fell on my knees and examined his wound. His hand was all bloody from holding his injury and I could by the inflammation of the cut that the arrow was dipped in poison.

“Christopher, every…everything’s going to be alright, you’ll see. You are going to be just fine.” I stuttered.

He caressed my face with his non-bloody hand.

            “Are you alright Azalea?”

            “I’m fine.” I mustered a small smile.

            “That’s good.”

Christopher’s hand dropped and his eyes closed.

            All the scared and bottled feelings held inside me was released as I screamed in horror. The medics came quickly and moved him inside the castle to treat him quickly. Kayla took me by the arm and dragged me inside the castle. Once we were in Christopher and my room, my legs collapsed. Kayla placed my head on her shoulder as she stroked my hair in comfort. She started repeating the same words I said to Christopher.

            “Do not worry Azalea. Everything will be all right.”

            “But…if the poison…what if...?”

            “Do not say it Azalea. Do not do that to yourself.”

I did not care; I asked the question I feared the most at the moment.

            “What if he dies?”