Chapter 5

Chrisopher's POV

            After I got back to the castle, I was automatically called for an audience with the captain of the guard. When I entered, I saw Mitch with his father and a person I never liked to see- Sir Patrick. I sat on my father’s throne as Mitch stepped to the side of the room and his father and Sir Patrick slightly bowed (the way of showing respect in our kingdom). I addressed them and allowed them to lift their heads.

            Sir Edward (Mitch’s father/ Captain of the Royal Guard) told me the situation in the west part of the kingdom. Apparently there has been some trouble in our West trade route. Just like I predicted, Sir Patrick started blaming the Pyrans. A minute of his excessive yelling was enough to make me silence him. After he shut up, I took a deep breath and looked at Sir Edward.

             “Sir Edward, do you think you can check the West trade route and settle the matters there, without bringing any more trouble between the Pyrans and our kingdom of course.”

He nodded and just as he was about to leave, Mitch spoke out.

            “Prince Christopher, may I ask you a favor?”

I was surprised, Mitch rarely asked me for a favor.

            “May I accompany my father on this trip?”

            “Mitchell, you can’t go. You stay here.” His father ordered.

            “I’m sick and tired of training. I’ve been training for years. I want to get out there and see the rest of the kingdom. I’ve only seen the central parts. I want to help, even if it’s only a little.”

Before Sir Edward could argue any longer, I interrupted their dispute.

            “I think it’s a superb idea Sir Edward.”

They both turned to look at me.

            “Sir Edward, one day when I become king, I wish for Mitchell to become the head of my royal guard. Before he does though, I would like him to be as experienced as possible. He is a very skilled and talented soldier, but he knows nothing outside of the kingdom. Bring him with you.”

            Though Sir Edward was like an uncle to me and could have easily disobeyed me, now that I was temporary king, he had to follow my orders (especially with Sir Patrick right by us). Mitch thanked me and after a bow, they left, leaving me and Sir Patrick alone.

            “What the hell do you want?” I asked him rather rudely.

            “I heard you went to Pyrus to handle our status with them. Tell me, how did it go?”

I thought about Azalea, and how we were now engaged. I smirked at the lord.

            “It went rather well.”

Before he could ask anything else, a servant came in and told me that my father wanted to see me. That servant had perfect timing because I hated being with Sir Patrick. I would rather jump in a pit of snakes than be with him for a half hour.

            I headed towards my parents’ suite. I already knew why I was called there, to talk about what happened in Pyrus. I planned to tell my parents about my engagement today. My father was still ill so he laid in bed with my mother sitting by his side. She never left his side the whole time he fell ill. My mother paid more attention to my father than her own children which upset me a lot.

            “Hello mother, father.” I bowed.

            “Christopher.” My father smiled. He motioned me to come closer to him. “How was the trip to Pyrus? Did you settle our matters with King Pyrdian?”