Chapter 3

Azalea's POV

            I pulled my hand away from his. Why would the prince of Cardinia be here? Why would he want to see me?

            “What do you want? Why are you here?”

            “I told my father that I was coming to Pyrus to settle some matters, but that was just an excuse. My real intention for coming here is to see you.”

He took one step closer to me, but even though my mind told me to back away from him, I couldn’t. All I could do was gaze at his beautiful emerald eyes.

            “I have a proposition for you Princess Azalea.”

            “A…proposition?”

            “As you know, our countries are on the brink of war. There is a way to prevent it from breaking out.”

I suddenly became interested in what he was proposing. If there was a way to avoid war, I would gladly hear it.

            “I heard that you are called the diamond of your kingdom.”

            “Where are you going with this?”

He gave me a crooked smile.

            “What do you think would happen if the emerald of Cardinia and the diamond of Pyrus were forged together to make a ring?”

I realized what he meant. 

            “Are you saying…that we should be married?”

            “If we do, our countries will have to put their arguments and differences aside and accept our marriage.”

I tried to organize my thoughts. What he was saying was true, if we did get married, our people can’t break out in war. I didn’t know what to do. I am the princess of Pyrus, so it’s my duty to protect my people, but if I married him, it would be like selling my life. I tried muttering words, any words. I opened my mouth and tried to speak but Prince Christopher took my hand before I could say anything.

            “I see you need time to think this over. I’m staying here overnight to discuss some political matters with your father. You can tell me your answer by tomorrow morning.”

He let go of my hand, put his hand to my face and kissed my forehead. He then whispered in my ear, “Just a little goodbye gift. I’m looking forward to your answer.”

            After he left the garden, I felt like dropping to my knees. My mind felt like it flew off with the wind. I don’t even remember leaving the garden. I was walking around the palace corridors when some voices snapped me back to reality. The voices were coming from the maids setting up the dining room. I stood by the door and eavesdropped on their conversation.

            “I can’t believe Prince Christopher from Cardinia really is here.”

            “I saw him with the princess earlier.”

            “Maybe he has his sights set on her. I heard that he fools around with lots of young women. He’s only seventeen, but it’s rumored that he knows how to pleasure women. The only good thing about him is his looks.”

            “I heard he’s perfectly capable to rule his kingdom, but his personality is not too good. He’s really laid back and does whatever he wants.”

            “He doesn’t suit our princess at all. I hope she doesn’t fall for his good looks.”

            “She’ll probably end up being even more helpless. The only thing she has going for her now is to marry a good lord.”