34. Starry night

First (late) thing; The Little Things music video is so asdfghjkl I'm convulsing on the floor. Second; Thank you loaaads for getting Reason to be to over 100,000 reads! Love you, people <3

It's been quite a while since the last update, so here's a quick recap!

I stopped, watching his panicked expression with sympathy. I also stated that I wanted to hear him, no matter how bad was the moment. But there wasn't time for that.

"Harry, you have to--" I began, when the lights suddenly lit the hallway.

I literally felt like I had just been stabbed, as my breath caught in my throat in horror. I couldn't move, I couldn't see, when I heard a new person in the house.

"The door was unlocked."

**************

April's POV

"So... how was the party?"

Liz's apparently nonchalant voice vibrated in my ears, interrupting the awkward silence and stares dominating over us. Melanie never spoke since the light was turned on, letting some vague sounds travel from the inanimate television to the tense air around us.

"Why are you two... standing next to the back door? And why is it wide open?" Melanie eventually muttered in curiosity, making my eyes land on the person that spoke.

I narrowed my eyebrows slightly when I met the neon pink of her dress hurt my eyes, but I was thankful that it almost reached the tall girl's knees. I was surprised to see a shy, but conceited smirk on her red lips, and a strange sparkle in her eyes, surrounded by make-up.

God, how I hope that she didn’t see it.

"Err..." I began, struggling to find a good reason for standing in the cold air in the middle of the night, also in our pajamas.

"Oh my God, we are? I haven't noticed!" Liz stepped in with a deep, sarcastic voice, while Melanie was rolling her eyes. The pink girl turned around quickly, giving me an intimate glance.

"Were you trying to run away from me, April?"

"What? Pff, of course not! We..." I tried to say, when Melanie interrupted me.

"Were you sneaking someone out of the house?" she asked, starting to walk slowly towards us on her high heels.

I blinked quickly, recomposing my facial expression that probably confirmed Melanie's silent assumption. I felt Liz's eyes on me, as we both knew how dangerous the situation was.

"Were did you get that idea? We were just...getting some fresh air." I muttered.

"At... three o'clock in the morning?"

"You woke us up." Liz shrugged, and I froze when I realised what she was doing. "Take a look outside if you don't believe me."

My breath caught in my throat when the loud, determined steps walked by me and slightly out the door. I risked a glance towards Liz; she tried to look as calmer as possible during the few seconds free of Melanie's burning eyes that felt like decades.

To my relief, her smirk had been replaced with a disappointed grimace when she returned inside. The annoyance was obvious on her face, as if she expected to see something else. I smiled slightly.

"Is it enough for you, Melanie?" I asked with innocence, as she immediately shot me a dead glare. I was just so adamant to get out of the tense situation.

"Why don’t you go to sleep? You must be very tired." Liz smiled sweetly.

“But I thought that--“