Reason to be - Harry Styles Fanfic -

• Dedicated to itspelledANNE

Disclaimer: 1.This story is currently under editing, which means some chapters may be completely changed, although keeping the main idea.

2. As the concept of the story was created in early 2012, even before the second album, the story follows a band of all five members which is not yet that popular, so bear that in mind.

3. It starts out with a cliché plotline (I blame that on my younger self). Throughout the chapters, the perspective grows into a more mature aspect. So if you're impatient, please don't start reading this book.

4. Of course, I do not own One Direction nor am I affiliated to their management. The following work is pure fiction.

***

"It's not your fault love, you didn't know."
-Kiss It All Better by He Is We

Chapter 1

"You know what?"

I sighed, shaking my head.

"Who are you going to marry this time?" I asked, the hint of mockery in my voice attracting a disapproving look.

"Harry, obviously," she laughed, quickly getting over my taunt. I smiled and rolled my eyes in response, but it wasn't enough. "Which one do you want?"

I turned another page of my book in silence, hoping she'd let that go.

"Come on, April, at least play along," she pleaded.

"You know my colourful opinion about this band," I said with an awkward smile, wishing to avoid an argument over some people who weren't even aware of our existence. Thankfully, she returned a sympathetic upturn of her lips and sighed in defeat.

"I know, I know. I just don't get why you won't give them a chance. Leaving aside their music, they are actually good people, not even half as bad as you think."

"That could be an act for all I know," I shrugged indifferently, not looking up from the paragraph I was reading again for the third time.

"You're hopeless," she concluded, rolling on the bed next to me. I could see on her face that she didn't like the situation, let alone that she would accept it, so I was already regretting our conversation when she pulled out her phone, en evil grin plastered on her face.

You're insecure

Don't know what for

You're turning he...

Oh, of course.

"...heads when you walk through the dooor," she sang, her eyes glimmering with a childish sparkle.

I had to be honest, not all of their songs were that bad. I even hummed along to some from time to time, when she was in the mood for playing the album several times, in hope that it would magically make me adore it. Quite the opposite, actually, but I let her do her thing. It made her happy, just like trying to share that with me did, and I didn't mind it.

But the fact that she was playing the one song I despised was just completely evil. She also knew it, that's why she was enjoying it so much. That made our friendship so strong, if I come to think of it.

"I'm going for a breath of fresh air," I announced, closing my book and withdrawing myself from the battle. I've learnt ever since she was watching them in X factor and I innocently asked why they had put some girls in the boy band, that it was better not to awake the demon.

"I can't wait for your grandma to be back in town, you're absolutely no fun. At least she likes the songs!" she shouted after me, and I chuckled to myself as I was walking down the short corridor to the staircase.

It wasn't a pretentious house. Typical "we'll throw two bedrooms upstairs, a living room and a guest room downstairs" type of architecture, but it was good enough. I was told my mum liked this kind of home as it made her feel cozy, as it had been her idea to buy it and move in with grandma while she was pregnant with me. I smiled downheartedly as I descended the last few stairs and was headed to the main entrance, as I could almost see my mum entering the house for the first time alongside with my grandmother, deciding excitedly that it was exactly what she wanted.

The air was colder than I had expected it to be on a summer night, so a shiver ran down my spine as I stepped outside. I swallowed the tears which were starting to form in my eyes, shaking my head slightly to push away the thoughts that were starting to cloud my mind again. I staggered quietly to the wooden bench in our front yard my grandma loved so much and sat down, tracing my fingers over the cold surface.

I had been feeling it. It was stupid, of course, but I just couldn't get rid of the voice in the back of my mind that kept whispering the worst. It would be absurd to complain of loneliness when Liz, my annoying, exhausting, extraordinary childhood friend from upstairs, had always been there for me. My grandma signed up immediately to raise me after my mother's death and my father's departure and although she was mostly away these days, I knew how deeply she cared about me. She did so much for me and I wanted so badly to do it for her, too, but how could I when so distant? Maybe it was my fault too, because I hadn't tried to dig into it sooner.

I mentally slapped myself, noticing I was slipping back into that corner of my mind. I considered going back, remembering how Liz had mentioned before how important was the following day, but that she couldn't tell me more about it, since it was a "surprise". Knowing her, I had quite figured out where she was going with that, but I acted curious for her sake. She was the last person left in my life (well, besides my grandmother, but we were blood related so it can't have been counted) and I loved her too much to risk upsetting her. That was probably an unhealthy way of handling things, but that was all I got for the moment and I settled for it. I always had to learn to settle.

But I was so selfish. And a moment, just another moment in the cold night, couldn't have possibly hurt, could it?