Puzzle Pieces

(Bennett)

Swinging out a fist, Carter feigned right and knocked my hand away, coming around me as he grabbed hold of my extended wrist wrapping an arm about my waist. One leg came to lock around mine with the intention to knock me down.

Throwing my head back, Carter hissed and stumbled away, his grip on my side loosening just enough that I was able to side step.

"Not so fast." came his cocky response, his grip on my wrist tightening once more as he pulled me against his chest, grabbing hold of both my wrists. He smirked down at me ever so cockily that if he wasn't my mate, I'd have knocked that smirk right off.

Throwing my weight forward, he stumbled when I shoved at his chest, swinging at his face, knuckles grazing his chin.

Mate or not, I'll kick a man down a few notches.

His grin returned in a know-it-all fashion that made the muscle in my jaw tick. He was taunting me.

Because he could.

Swinging out my leg, a gasp left me when he suddenly caught hold, my foot trapped between his hand and side.

"Caught you, Beehive." he taunted, earning a menacing growl from me. Hitting him a smirk, I used his hold on me as a stepping stone and jumped, swinging out my other leg as I did so.

Carter cursed softly under his breath, struggling to keep standing now that my weight had suddenly been thrown onto his shoulders. Maneuvering my body, I went low sweeping him off his feet whilst keeping a lock around his neck. He struggled against the headlock, shoving at my hands to pry them away.

He was going nowhere. Not while I kept him trapped to the mat, my legs pinning him down.

Groaning, Carter tossed and turned, left and right before managing to roll to his knees. The lock fell away as I braced my weight on my hands and he wriggled away.

I was suddenly pushed forward, Carter kicking me in the butt that resulted in me sprawled on the mat. My breathing labored as my side rippled with pain, Carter hopped at the opportunity to pin me down, flipping me onto my back and pinning my wrists on either side of my head.

He hovered over me, pride flitting through his gaze that he managed to win, but it quickly faded when I winced a second time.

"You're getting better." I commented, deciding to divert the conversation though I should have known that he wouldn't let it slide.

"Is your side bothering you?"

"It's fine. Really." I assured him, making sure to mask the pain from my voice. However, I wasn't fast enough to mask it from showing on my face.

"How about we call it? I'm sure we could find other things to do." His voice had suddenly taken on a husky, flirtatious undertone that it made me scoff.

"Is sex all you think about?" I huffed, blowing air out harshly through my mouth. Carter chuckled, licking his lips as his eyes flitted over my face.

"After last night, it's been difficult getting the image of your hot body out of my mind."

My cheeks blared hot with embarrassment and the fact that some of the other wolves in the training room happened to overhear his comment, breaking out in snickers.

"I'm going to kill you!" I barked up at him, wriggling about to free one limb to hit him somewhere. A sharp pain stung my side, making me hiss past clenched teeth, my sign of a struggle being enough for Carter to ebb his teasing. He moved back, studying closely my every movement as I carefully sat up clutching my side that blared with white hot pain.