Strange Behavior

(Carter)

"You know he's probably going to kill you, right." Sky stated scrolling through his phone. My guess is that he's seen my latest Instagram post which was posted last night.

Of course, I couldn't just let that photo go to waste and while Sky is probably right, Bennett will just have to come to terms with it. He's dating a prideful bastard who will show him off to the world regardless.

At least, that had been my thought all of the night before and up until now. We had a few minutes before the bell rang to begin classes and we were gathered at my locker. Myself, Sky, Dale, and Laken. According to Sky, he and Jace had a mini argument last night and now his mate's mad at him which is the reason behind Jace's absence. I didn't worry about it though. Eventually, they'd talk it out and who knows? Maybe by tomorrow, they'd be back to normal.

Digging through my locker, I found my math notebook and realized I'd completely forgotten to do the homework. It wasn't my fault though. It was Bennett's. I had been worried about him all of Saturday night and because of the lack of sleep, it prompted me to pay him a visit the very next day if only for some peace of mind. We spent some time together and even with Muttsey.

The pit had settled in mostly but was still wary of everyone around him save for Bennett. That dog stuck to my mate like glue. I remember yesterday when Bennett had excused himself to use the bathroom, Muttsey laid down in front of the bathroom door until he'd come out.

But, in all of the time we'd spent together, my worry only grew because I tried talking about what happened the night of our date. What happened at the pier? Why was he suddenly so adamant we leave the cemetery? Why did he practically shove me inside the car at the Walsh's when Muttsey went into a frenzy? And why did he suddenly run off on me in the middle of Pymbrooke Creek?

I was aware of Tobias' whereabouts and part of me wondered if Bennett had forgotten that. When he ran off like that, I was caught in a conflict. I wanted to run after him, but I couldn't just leave the car and Muttsey alone. Plus, I was still a little spooked and I tell you, my mate was quite brave running off like that especially in such an undeveloped part of the town. That strip had close to no lights.

But, no matter how subtle my hints were at steering him toward talking about it, he was sharp as per usual and successfully veered away.

Shaking my head knowing that I will try again to talk to him about it, I closed the locker and frowned when the junior corridor suddenly went quiet. All that could be heard was mumbled whispers. Turning about to see what had captivated everyone's attention, my gaze settled on Bennett who was making his way down the corridor with West trailing closely behind. If anything, West looked more like a bodyguard than he did a best friend with the way he frowned and glared as they passed by pairs and groups of whispering students who were not shy about their staring.

I'm guessing everyone saw the post and apparently, that's a problem. I don't get it. Who I date shouldn't be any of their concern. If I wanted their opinion, I would ask for it. But also, there is an ulterior motive behind my posting it. I was aware of the consequences, but I was just so damn sick of people in this fucking school.

My eyes followed Bennett as he made his way over to his locker with West one foot behind and they were shortly joined by Asher. They exchanged words for a moment before the sub whipped out his phone and showed them something. The glare West shot me promised a gruesome death while Bennett only shook his head and all the way from here, I could feel his rising frustration.

"Why do they do that?" Sky suddenly queried curiously, though his tone and expression perfectly portrayed his disgust. "What's the big deal if the two of you are dating?"