Shut It Down

(Carter)

As soon as I closed the front door and waltzed further inside, the living room lights flickered on, light illuminating every inch of the space and brightening the dark corridor. I froze, the words to the song I'd been singing caught in my throat as I swiveled about to find very ticked off parents waiting in the living room.

Dad was seated in his single seat sofa looking like a stern, yet content fellow. When he saw me, he stood up and walked the two steps to where my mom stood, her expression furious, arms akimbo and her index finger angrily thumping against her arm in that angry mom fashion I was too familiar with.

"Mom. Dad." I called, grinning and radiating pure happiness as I walked into the living room.

"Carter Kristian Hayes!" Mom's angry tone stomped me. "You might be turning eighteen in twenty-four hours, but don't think there won't be consequences for coming home so late. And without calling to let us know your whereabouts! Where were you?" Mom growled.

"Nowhere bad, honest."

They didn't seem to buy it as dad spoke up next.

"Were you with anyone? Need we remind you that you have a mate?"

"I was with him, actually." I returned, and that seemed to placate them since they simmered down.

"Honest?" mom queried, and I nodded, feeling the jubilant smile returning.

"Something went down while I was at Black Rock and I decided to take him away from there for a bit."

"Why are you so happy at this ungodly hour?" Leave it to my dad to make such an observation. Shooting him an unamused stare, dad only responded with an arched stare as I plopped down onto the long sofa, beaming up at my parents. Both adults exchanged worrying glances, dad shrugging helplessly.

"Because, I think he's getting a little more comfortable around me."

Gone was any trace of anger or worry in my mother. She was all smiles and practically jumping for joy. "That's wonderful! Does that mean we'll see him at the beach house this weekend?"

"I don't know." I replied honestly. He may be biting back, but it won't mean he'll trust me enough to spend an entire two days with me and a bunch of high ranked Marcana wolves.

"Well, this is good anyway." dad said. "At least he's bringing back the real you and not some brat."

"Hey!" I cried to which my father only smirked and shrugged as if to say, 'Deal with it'.

Bully.

But he's right. Ever since last week when Bennett returned from rehab and awoke our mate bond, I've slowly been reverting back to the stable, reserved and in control beta I was raised to be.

Which reminded me, if things got more serious between us, my parents needed a heads up on the shit storm I can only guess was headed my way.

After tonight and the result I saw of spending time with Bennett, there is literally nothing Cheryl, Vince or Mandy can say or do to keep me away from my mate. He was giving me a tiny piece of himself. It wasn't a lot, but just enough to keep me motivated and trying.

I had some thinking to do as well. Cheryl referred to someone- I'm assuming it's Bennett given his and Zoe's reactions- as a homewrecker. No loving mother would refer to her child that way. Plus, I remembered what Bennett said to me that evening at Marcana when I asked him about Kosta.

It made me question, who is Bennett Reid's birth mother? I wonder if he will tell me, or will I have snoop about and ask someone?

"Mom, dad. There's something I wanna tell you." I announced, and they gave me their undivided attention. "If you guys hear around town or from anyone that I got someone pregnant, it's not true."