Game Plan (Part 1)

(Bennett)

The lyrics to 'False Pretense' by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus reverberated through the bedroom, sluggishly rousing me from the warm cocoon of my slumber. Fishing around the mess that was my bed, groping under blankets and pillows, my finger touched the edge of the noisy device, it's light dimly illuminating the space.

Hitting the 'dismiss' button, I groaned lazily, stretching out the kinks of my body noting well that beneath the covers, I was stark nude. But so had been the body of the person reaching out for me.

He groaned just as lazily, taking advantage of my sprawled frame to drape himself over my midsection. He held onto me, his legs sliding over to tangle with mine.

"Stay." he grumbled groggily, simmering down and making himself quite at home where he was. Running my fingers through his hair, I cleared my throat to rid away the sleep knowing I had to get up.

"I'm on the patrol roster tonight, love."

"They can live without you. I can't. Stay." he returned. His hold tightened, proving his point that he wouldn't let go of me. He settled down once again, intent on returning to sleep keeping me imprisoned as his body pillow.

A few minutes passed by in silence, the only other sounds coming from within the household was the quiet sound of the air-conditioning vents coupled with his light snores. Beyond the bedroom, I could just faintly catch the muffled voices of Uncle Beckett and Korey playing, and Aunt Zoe's cheery laughter. My stomach growled then, indicating a need to be replenished, the sound immediately awaking my mate.

"You're hungry." He stated the obvious, rolling away from me and flopping onto his back as he stared up at the ceiling. He pursed his lips, a thoughtful expression pinching his features. "We did it..." he mused, a grin of elated sorts suddenly curling his mouth. "We're mated."

He brought my hand to his lips and gave it a light kiss, a happy smile stayed fixed on his face. His mood matched it too, his happiness reaching new heights of toxicity that it projected itself onto me and heightened that feeling of pure bliss.

"Do you think they might try to kill me?" he suddenly asked causing a frown to house itself on my own features. "Your family, I mean. We said we'd be engaged, not mated."

I chuckled lightly, turning onto my side to get a better look at his side profile, taking in every detail. His unwarranted fear was laughable. "No. They would warn you, but I don't think they'd be angry."

He sighed. "I don't know, Beehive. Your grandfather isn't exactly an approachable guy. He might rip my head off over this."

Laughing, I shifted closer draping myself over him much like he'd done to me. "He won't. I'll talk to him and if he still wants to kill you, I'll protect you." I promised, pressing a kiss to his collarbone. Mindlessly, I fingered the healing mating mark on my shoulder.

When it was completely healed, all that would be left were his canine marks displayed for everyone to see when I wasn't wearing a shirt, or a 'proper one' as Carter loved to say.

"Does it hurt?" he asked, referring to the mark on my shoulder. A smile gracing my lips, because truly, I'm happier than ever, I tilted my head up catching the corner of his mouth in a kiss.

"No. Just a little sore. It'll take some getting used to."

We laid on the bed, cuddled up to the other caught between chatting about random things and light make out sessions. Only when I could no longer ignore the griping of my stomach and that it was becoming annoying, I rolled out of bed. Pulling on the sweats I'd been wearing, I tottered about the room, digging through my drawers and gathering proper clothing for patrol.