A Desperate Beta

(Carter)

I'm such a fucking idiot!

If only I had just gone back into isolation like I was supposed to, maybe I would have thought logically then. And there wouldn't be this mess to clean up.

But on the bright side, it meant I'd have to work my butt off to gain his affection and it would pay off when he saw I wasn't messing around. And I learned something about him too. Albeit, not a very good thing, but it provided an insight as to what I'm getting myself into.

My mate was damaged. Something had happened in his past to drag him down and make him what he is. I wanted to find out what it was.

To fix this, we'd actually have to talk. Problem is, getting him alone. That would prove especially difficult since he could barely tolerate me for more than five minutes.

I didn't bother going to class, choosing to use the rest of the period to plot. How was I ever going to build any steady foundation for a relationship with him if he chose to ignore me? His words stung like a motherfucker. But it had me wondering just how badly he had been hurt. How terrible was his past that he would use a statement like that?

That no matter what I did, it can't be worse than what he's already endured? And that bit about rejection. His tone or expression left no indication. Was he talking about rejection from everyone in general, or did he have a mate before?

And if he did, what was their relationship like? If he did have mate and experienced the pain of rejection, then their relationship couldn't have been like Jaxon's with his first mate. It was obvious from the way the guy mentioned his first mate that they had something real and good.

But Bennett...

I'm not so sure.

Too wrapped up in my thoughts about how I could possibly get him alone without things going over badly, the sound of the final bell jerked me from my thoughts. The last period was over and soon, students began filing out of the building, some heading to their cars, others walking or heading to the bus stop.

Two figures caught my attention in particular.

Asher and Jaxon, and an idea popped into my head. Grabbing up my book bag, I marched over to the couple whom had just come from a double math period, the two engrossed in conversation as they stopped by Jaxon's car. I met them there, the conversation coming to a halt when they noticed me.

"What?" Asher questioned, not bothering to hide his displeasure with my presence. Yeah, I wouldn't be too, after the tragedy of yesterday.

But at least my nose healed. One couldn't tell my mate punched the shit out of me and possibly enjoyed it too.

"Surprisingly, not here to see you. I need to talk to West."

They exchanged glances, neither boy moving nor saying anything as they pinned me with firm stares. It didn't faze me, but they wouldn't be too happy with my proposition.

"Can you talk to Bennett? Get me in his good graces, you know, so that we can talk."

"No." Jaxon deadpanned, his expression blank. Asher snickered, sobering once he caught the glare I cut him.

My love life's at risk here! Have they no empathy?

Jaxon then scowled, pinning me with a glare that called for divine retribution against me. "Maybe I was too wrapped up in trying to protect my own mate, and glad that Bennett wasn't in harm's way to actually take you on. But now that I see just how far you've taken things, don't try and enlist me in your scheme. You want his attention, work for it, Hayes. I'm not going to make things easier for you to get in his pants."