The Last Stand (Part 1)

(Bennett)

Carter was still asleep, and it would've been wrong to disturb him when I knew that it was probably the first time, he'd had a proper nap since the raid. As quietly as I could manage, I lifted the duvet and slipped out of bed, carefully tucking my pillow under his arm to place my waist.

Last night was amazing. Even though it'd only been such a short time since the beach house date, it felt like an eternity ago. So much had happened since then, and not just with Carter and me. With our packs, friends, and families. With Jasper Falls in general.

It was truly amazing how a few seconds could turn everything upside down.

Things would be different now, and I sensed a change in the air. It was distinctly dissimilar. There was a bliss about the peace that had settled over Ivy Rose, something that hadn't been there before. Almost as if what had happened in the Valley Heights slum, and in Jasper Falls, had had a ripple effect that touched Ivy Rose.

It made me wonder how things were in Jasper Falls intensifying the urge to head there as soon as possible.

But other than that, I'd noticed something different about myself too. A weight had been lifted off of my shoulders and there was a peace within that wasn't easy to explain from where or how it came. But I'm pretty sure I'd figured out the why.

It was as if somehow there was an inkling that things had taken a turn for the better.

Last night's date was refreshing and that's when I'd first noticed the change within myself and with Carter. For once, he wasn't obsessing over my safety. He was able to breathe easily and enjoy our date. He didn't need to worry about keeping my mind off of darker thoughts. For that matter, Vince, and his betrayal to Black Rock, and all that it cost us, hadn't once crossed my mind. And even when he mentioned Vince's evasion of our units bothering him, I wasn't too worried about it.

It was Carter and me alone, as if we were the only two people in the world.

I thought happiness was what I'd felt when Carter had willingly accepted the mate bond. And that no matter what, he'd always be by my side. I thought that was what I'd felt when he'd placed his mark on me, but I was wrong. There was bliss in true happiness, and as I made my way around the suite, picking up our discarded clothing from last night after shrugging on a pair sweats, I'd left near the bed, I felt it full force. Especially when I looked up and glanced over at Carter's sleeping form.

I thanked the goddess for him because this boy had literally saved my life. Looking back at how things had been before our bond manifested, I wondered where I'd be. Repairing my fractured friendship with Jax and closing the gap between me and my family that seemed to be there all my life would have done some good. But I'd still be a miserable piece of shit anyhow because even after rehab, I was struggling to love myself.

Carter had changed that. Before he came along, I saw nothing in me worth liking, let alone loving. He saw past all the trauma and the negativity that constantly hung over my head like a dark cloud. He taught me that no matter how bad things got, there must be something, even one small thing, that I liked about myself.

Turns out, I do have a lot of things to like about myself.

He might be annoyingly overbearing with how protective he gets, and he might be aggressive from time to time. He's not perfect, but if he could wholeheartedly love someone like me, bet your ass I'd be happy and self-searching for the things that made him love me.

Gathering our dirty laundry, I slipped into the adjoining bathroom without waking him up and set the clothes down in the hamper basket before jumping into the shower and carrying out the usual morning routine.