Official

(Carter)

I love him! I love him so freaking much. I swear, if his grandfather, mother, aunties and uncles, and even his alpha allows it, I'm marrying him fresh out of high school. The day after our graduation.

"Are you serious?" I asked, staring at him owlishly as though I couldn't believe the suggestion that had just fallen from his lips.

Because I couldn't!

Bennett laughed, scooting up against the headboard and making himself more comfortable. We were staying in his room, and he was allowing me to share the bed. Of course, I had to keep my hands to myself.

We had returned from our late afternoon lunch date about two hours ago as we had gone to Minerva, the town south of Jasper Falls, for a late lunch. We'd lost track of time and returned well after dinner was served at his house, so we decided to call it a night.

"Yeah. I mean, you've pretty much met most of my family. My mother already knows about you because Aunt Zoe can't keep her mouth shut. And mom's been blowing up my phone lately asking me to come visit and bring you along."

Whoa! This is huge!

But, it's only fair. He has already met my mother, father, and my brother. It's about time I met his.

I scooted closer on the bed, noting how he watched me closely silently warning me to maintain distance. Rolling my eyes in mock annoyance, I grabbed hold of him and dragged him closer, hugging him tightly.

"Carter!" he cried, struggling in my hold, but not nearly enough to wriggle away. He was being lenient because if he could kick my ass like that, it was obvious he was getting really comfortable around me to not put up much fight.

And that meant a lot because that's all I wanted him to do. Trust me enough on his own terms to be himself. After a moment or two of struggling, he huffed and simmered down. He didn't say anything, allowing me to wrap my arms around his waist and hug him. Bennett leaned against my chest, scrolling through his phone again, reading some book online.

"Tell me something about your mom and stepfather." I murmured into his hair.

"Hmm...what would you like to know?" he hummed, not looking away from his phone. I thought about that for a moment. In fact, there were a lot of things I wanted to know before meeting the lady. I'm sure she's a wonderful person but there were so many questions that all stemmed from my limited knowledge about his past.

Vince was a sensitive topic for him. In fact, his stepmother and stepsister were also. It didn't take a lot to piece it together after that incident however many weeks ago when I was accused of fathering Mandy's unborn child.

Which by the way, I feel like she is lying. It's already been a month and that's usually when a pregnant female's scent changes to become motherly. Plus, whomever the father be, he hasn't shown up to claim that the child- if it exists- is his. And usually, it's the worst idea to keep a male wolf away from a female wolf carrying his child.

But, enough of that. Something did bother me about Jasmine, though. From the way Bennett spoke about her, one would assume she's the goddess incarnate. But if she was so good, why'd she abandon him?

"Your mom. Why didn't she ever take you and your brother away?" He paused in his reading, and the phone lowered a second later. He was quiet even if he did let out a lengthy exhale.

I regretted asking him now. I'd made him uneasy. Maybe she too is a sensitive subject. "Sorry...you don't have to tell me-"

"She tried. Relentlessly, for years." he replied softly, cutting me off as he scooted away, turning to face me. My jaw clamped shut, and he received my full attention- not that he doesn't already have it every time we happen to be in the same room- letting him know that like always, I'll listen to every word he says. He sighed again, ruffling the side of his hair.