Adversaries

(Bennett)

Slipping the black hoodie on, I zipped it up halfway running my hand over the fabric pressed against my stomach ensuring there was some breathing room. It was simply a fitted sweatshirt but not so tight that Carter would go crazy possessive.

Glancing back at my mate who was still fast asleep like a log, my gaze flitted over to the alarm clock seeking a read on the time.

6:53, the time glaring at me in bright blue numbers.

We would be late if he didn't get up.

Grabbing up a throw pillow from the couch, I chucked it at his head with enough force, biting back a laugh when he woke up dazed and confused. His narrowed gaze surveyed the room seeking out his attacker.

The moment he spotted me, his head flopped back down but his eyes stayed locked onto me, eyeballs eating up every inch he could see.

Shameless bastard.

Sensing the irritation, Carter chuckled deeply, his voice rugged and groggy making me take a sharp intake of air. His voice in the morning! Goddess give me strength! If I get to wake up to that sexy sound every morning, I'd be more than okay with that.

"Rise and shine, Sleeping Beauty! We have fifteen minutes before school starts!"

He gasped so suddenly, cursing and hoping out of bed so quickly that he toppled over with a sharp Thud! A laugh bubbled up in my throat as I walked over and shifted the duvet from over his head and down his shoulders.

He scowled, glancing at the alarm clock to see that it was only 6:55. Irritation gnawed at him as he stood up, the duvet falling away to expose a heart quickening, rippling, naked torso marked by a lion tattoo.

I'll never get tired of seeing that.

Unconsciously, my eyes traveled the length of his body, lingering on the waistband of his sweatpants that hung dangerously low on his hips.

"See something you like, Beehive?"

My gaze snapped back to his face finding a cocky smirk plastered there. I rolled my eyes at that. He was so full of himself I often worried he'd hurt himself.

"Didn't realize I wasn't allowed to look at what's mine." I shot him a toothy grin watching as his face flushed the shade of a flamingo and he made a cry of distress, covering his face with a hand.

"Beehive!" he groaned out in mock agony. Tipping my head back, I chortled like the Wicked Witch of the west, finding myself moving closer to him. He had me trapped between his arm around my waist and his body.

"Good morning." I greeted, tipping my head up and kissing his cheek. "Hurry up and get dressed. You have something to do this morning." His brows pinched in confusion. "Your brother."

"Oh..."

"Yeah, oh." Giving him another kiss on the cheek, I left him to his own and headed downstairs and into the kitchen where Mrs. Hayes was juggling some plates and a jug of freshly squeezed orange juice.

Greeting her with a respectful 'Good morning', I gave her some help and took the plates away from her, following the lady into the dining room across from the kitchen. Inside the room that was set up with a large dining table and comfortable, beige cushioned chairs, Nathaniel and Beta Chad were already seated at the table.

Beta Chad sat at the head of the table typically asserting his dominance in the household. Spread before him was a bunch of papers and some files stacked to his right. He was dressed for work, his suit neat and not a single thing out of place accentuating the vibe of a powerful individual. While he looked through some papers, he sipped coffee from the cup in his left hand.