Troubling Developments

(Bennett)

Deciding to use my free period- thank gods it was the day's last- to get some homework done, I headed to the library with purpose, doing a mental checklist of everything I would be able to finish.

Calculus was the most pressing issue at the moment, coupled with finding a secondary textbook to help me study for an upcoming Economics midterm. However, the moment I walked into the library, I knew I would not be getting much studying or homework done unless by some miracle, he left me alone.

Jax was also in the library. Though that was a given since he followed after his mate like a lost puppy. Anywhere Asher went, Jax was sure to be found either next to him or within the vicinity. Jace and Carter were also here, the four of them seated around a large circular table with books spread over the top.

As if sensing my arrival, Carter's head snapped up and turned in my direction as though he were programmed to find me anywhere. A giddy grin graced his lips as I made my approach, quickly scanning their notes out of curiosity.

Asher and Jace were doing Economics. Carter was doing the Calculus homework we had been assigned. And Jax was...doodling.

"Bumble Bee!" Asher greeted quietly so as not to get us in trouble from the librarian.

"Bumble Bee? Why do you call him that?" Carter spat then, jealousy dripping off of every syllable. Discreetly though, I felt his hands inching up my leg and across my back since I had been standing closest to him. The sub only shot his beta an unamused glare.

"Can you not get jealous for two seconds?" Asher rolled his eyes as Carter scoffed, turning his attention back to me. "Come to join our little study session?"

"Not particularly..." My eyes drifted back to Jax's notebook, the margins around his notes were covered in nonsensical doodles. "Say Jax, what exactly are you studying for?"

He shot me a glare. "I'm taking a break."

"The period just started." Carter commented, earning himself a glare and a scoff. Jace laughed quietly, shaking his head while Asher catered to his mate's ego turning to lovingly pat the dominant's head. Carter glanced up at me with a big smile. "Come sit with us. You can probably help me with this homework."

I made a humming sound knowing that he probably would do no studying if I sat with them. I would probably do the work and he would spend all the time doing everything other than what he was meant to.

"In a bit. Gotta go look for something." They shifted around their books to make some room for me as I placed down my binder and book bag, keeping my library card with me. I headed off to the Social Sciences section of the library in search of a book because the one they were making us use was total shit. A test of patience that ended up with the student flinging away the textbook. Not that it was garbage. Just completely student unfriendly.

After close to half an hour had passed, I found one that covered the topics that were sure to come in the midterm and was easier to read through and understand. Heading out of the aisle making for the librarian's desk where I could borrow the book, I ended up running into a small body that was coming out of the aisle over.

The person gasped, flopping to the floor, the sound of books toppling to the ground. It drew the attention of other students in the library as well as the librarian herself.

Waving a quick apology, everyone went back to minding their own business expect for Jax, Carter, and his friends who continued to look on ever so conspicuously. The person spilled out on the floor before me was a student in the freshman year group. A mop of messy blonde hair spilled out from beneath a hoodie and scared blue eyes met mine. The kid was obviously startled, his breathing heavy and appearance disheveled. He looked as though he had seen a ghost. However, when he realized whom it was, his breathing calmed down just a tiny bit.