It Begins

(Carter)

I'm getting pissed now.

It was already Saturday and Bennett hasn't once spoken to me since the last time we did. He continued to ignore my existence for pretty much all of Thursday and Friday, yet, I knew he was always watching. What Asher had told me earlier in the week jumped out and said that whatever the hell is going on with him, has something to do with my safety.

But yesterday, I had been in for quite a shock. When I came home after football practice, my senses were going wild because I could smell him on Marcana territory, within the pack. And the closer I got to my home, the stronger his scent became, and it was only then I realized that it's because he was inside.

But he didn't come to see me. In fact, he was in my father's office and whatever it is they were talking about, they didn't want me to know about because I had been conveniently assigned to border patrol when yesterday was one of my off days. It was as though they were trying to get rid of me because they knew I wouldn't leave unless there was something important to do.

By the time I'd returned home, his scent was long gone and so was he. I'd tried talking to my parents about it but my father only shrugged it off and my mother, being the peacemaker that she is, slashed any potential argument by saying that in time, I would come to know. It didn't sit well with me that something was obviously happening, and nobody was courteous enough to tell me.

Staring up at the ceiling of my bedroom, my mind muddled over the events of the week and still, it hurt. But mostly, I felt frustrated. I couldn't stand not knowing what was happening with my mate. His emotions were still on lockdown and even with our physical distance, I would usually be able to catch a tingle of what he was feeling.

Nothing.

Not a damn thing.

Expelling a sigh of frustration, I groaned slightly when my phone buzzed from somewhere beneath the sheets. Digging around the blankets to find it, I hit the side button to light up the screen to see what it was.

A message from an unknown number.

I was wary of those. Especially calls. This one time, my phone rang about four in the morning and when I answered, some woman cussed me out for stealing her man. Of course, I didn't get the chance to respond in my sleep induced state because the call dropped abruptly. And ever since then, I've been cautious about messages and calls from unknown numbers.

But this had me curious, so I checked it feeling my heartbeat speed up a little.

'You're spending the night in Black Rock. Walk with a change of clothing. Meet me at my house for eleven'.

Barely holding back the urge to scream in happiness lest I scare my parents and baby brother and end up getting lectured...again, I resorted to rolling about in my bed for a few minutes to expel the extra boost energy that suddenly spurred from thin air.

Huffing as the last bit of excitement simmered down, I rolled to my knees and wasted no time in saving his number. There was no doubt that it was him. The time on my phone said it was thirty minutes past the hour of nine.

Only?

Dammit! Why couldn't it be like half ten or something?

This is what Bennett Reid does to me. Of course, I slept last night. But barely as my mind kept straying back to him and part of me hoped the idiot was as restless as I had been these last few days.

Hopping out of bed, I made my way to the bathroom and wasted no time. Once I was out, I pulled on a pair of sweats and started puttering about shoving clothes and necessary toiletries into my gym bag.