Wilting Flowers

Summer's POV

I felt something in the pit of my stomach from before the day even started, a sign to stay in bed. It was a combined sensation of my insides being gnawed on and a ten pound weight carrying me down further into the bed.

I would have gone up to Lilly's room last night, but that would have been risky, nearly twice the distance from the hideout to the Giver dormitories. That was double the chances to get caught by guards and turned into the King who'd already warned me once.

I felt my teeth clench together just at the thought of him, of his messy brown hair, of his cruel blue eyes, of his whole being. I hadn't forgiven him for what he'd done to Lilly and I didn't plan on that ever happening. How was it possible for someone to be as evil as him and still say that they were alive?

Against the feeling in my bones that I should just stay in bed today, I threw the warm comforter off of my body and sat up. Pressing a hand to my stomach, I took account for the first time just how much my body had changed since coming here. Before arriving, my ribs had been frighteningly prominent and I was a gaunt skeleton practically. I hadn't complained though, others having it worse. Now, although I could still easily feel my ribs, it had gotten better and I didn't look on the verge of death.

Still with that heavy feeling of lead in my bones, I rose and took a long shower, just standing under the hot water for a while and letting it soak me up. Coming out of the steamy bathroom, I shrugged myself into a pair of darkwash denim jeans and slipped on a pale blue sweater. 

From my window, I surveyed the ground, a white blanket stretching for as far as my eyes could see, covering the Earth. The small sparkly stars continued to shower the ground from the pale cloudy sky, the sun hidden. The leaves of the trees had finally all fallen leaving the branches barren and seeming like spindly spider legs stretching off into the distance.

The first snow fall, late but beter than never. It should have come in October, but November wasn't too far behind and I wouldn't complain.

But all of this was exciting. Snow in the city, or more specifically in the human sector was nothing to fawn over, the innocent powdery snow turning to sludge as soon as it touched the mud and dirt. People would constantly slip on the perilous ice and slush was a problem for any vendors. The temperatures would drop below zero and it wasn't like our apartment had the best heating in the city. Winter was a time that we had tough out and we could only pray for spring.

But out here in the open and large expanses of freshly fallen snow, there were too many opportunities. With so much space, you could build an army of snowmen, one thousand snow angels, build forts, and have the snowball fight of a lifetime. And once we were finished, there would be steaming mugs of hot chocolate waiting inside by the fire place, maybe even the best part.

These were all stories of snow that had been passed down from my grandma to my parents to me and I couldn't wait to live it. I immediately thought of Harry and Lilly and we could call it all out on a snow day, spend hours outside doing whatever we wanted.

I searched my closet and found a pair of nice brown boots that were soft on the inside, a pair of gloves, a brown beanie and a red winter jacket that was heated but allowed me to move easily. I looked and felt warm, one of the first things that had ever happened in winter for me, my hair serving as its own scarf around my neck.

I was about to leave my closet when something blue caught my eye on the floor by the dresses. I gingerly picked it up and studied the baby blue silky fabric, a hair ribbon. I recognized it almost immediately as the kind that I used to put in Lilly's braid and it must have fallen out when she'd come into my closet with me.