A Nice Surprise

This chapter is dedicated to @Just_A_Fallen_Angel because she has been so nice throughout this whole story and given her opinion when I asked for it. Her comments have pushed me to keep on writing when I didn't want to, so I can't thank her enough for that!

***********

I remember waking up to the sound of rain pittering on the roof of the building. Funny, it almost seemed as if the weather would never change around here. It was about time, too; the sky had been overcast for about a week.

The stillness of everything was quite soothing to be honest, the world being held at bay for just a little while. The tiny droplets that attached themselves to the windows cast small shadows across the smooth carpet of the room, a flicker of lightning igniting the unique pattern.

I stretched and wriggled around, completely aware of the stiffness in my muscles with every movement, the ache everyone feels when first waking up. I twisted around in my seat to see that Valerie was still passed out with small little breaths coming from her open mouth.

Wow, I suppose that this was the first sleepover that I'd ever had. Although I had had a couple of great friends as a child, my parents had been pretty protective of us, never trusting even the old lady who lived next door. To them, anything had the capability to take us away from them. They didn't realize that the main problem would be things that tried to take them away from us.

I was just going into that little doze that happens before I truly wake up when the small sound of pattering came from the door. I had to listen closer just to make sure that it wasn't just a part of my imagination. But sure as it was, there came the same tapping, so faint that you would only be able to hear it if you had been searching for it in particular.

But I did have to say, what was with everyone and their untimely visits?! It either had to be at the freaking crack of dawn or at the stroke of midnight. The way that this kept on reoccuring, I was going to put up a schedule of calling hours of when people could reach me. This was just freaking ridiculous!

None the less, I tried to be considerate of Valerie who was still snoozing away as I padded softly to the door and cracked it open.

I didn't know if I was necessarily shocked at who it was, seeing as how he had been a frequent visitor. Clad in a wrinkled band shirt as if he had slept in it, hair askew all over his head, and a face that was a mixture of nervousness and content at the sight of me stood my visitor.

"Harry?" He gave me a reassuring smile in acknowledgment. I opened the door wider since I now knew who it was and he looked me up and down. Oh, God, I must have looked a mess in my big T-shirt and pajama pants. Granted, he didn't look much better.

"Hey," His voice was quiet and I became quite curious as his eyes kept flitting to the ground. Something was clearly going on in his head and now I had no choice but to find out what.

"Please tell me you haven't been here long," I said anxiously. "I'm a bit of a heavy sleeper."

"Uh-no, no," Harry spoke hurriedly, but there was something off about the way he responded. I could tell he was lying, but it was way to early to call him out on it. "I haven't been here that long."

"Okay, is there something I can help you with?" My tone was awkward, but what can I say? The way that we had left it last, I hadn't expected to see him face to face for at least a week. This was all my fault after all.

Had I had at least a few minutes warning that he was coming, I would have been completely prepared. My apology would have been picture perfect, I wouldn't be searching for the words to fill my sentences, I wouldn't be clad in old, baggy clothes. I had thought this out moments before falling asleep, but the planned conversation I had made slipped through my mind more by the second.