Watched

Another reason to hate vampires: they made me late to work.

By the time that I had arrived at the run down hospital, I was twenty minutes late from dodging vampires, maneuevering around pedestrians, and trying to get that boy out of my head.

The receptionist was thankfully absorbed in her paperwork at the front and didn't catch me sneaking to the changing room. As I snatched up my standards white labcoat with the name tag THOMPSON written clearly, I looked like I had been here the whole time.

I had just snatched my clipboard up to look like I was doing something productive before the break room's door was flung open to reveal a short, plump woman in scrubs.

She scanned me over from head to toe, eyeing my flushed face and windblown hair. The skepticism was clear on her face, but at my nervous smile she let it go. It must have been a busy day for her to not at least scold me.

"Thompson?" She asked with a frown plastered on her face, something I was sure she did often. I gave a quick nod before she continued, rifling through some papers in her hand before thrusting a packet towards me. "Dr. Allen has requested your assistance in performing heart surgery."

My heartbeat quickened at the mere thought of being in that room, in the presence of some of the most qualified surgeons in New York. It had always been a dream of mine to be the one handing over the scalpel or better yet, using it.

However, I am not qualified to even breathe near the tools.

"Ma'am, I'm afraid there's been a mistake," I explained, a nervous laugh escaping my lips. "I've never performed surgery before or even gone through any training courses."

"Yes, well, you're the only person left who can help with this one." Her bland tone wasn't helping to steal my nerves. "Ackerman, Kosoff, and Bradley all didn't show up to work today. It's up to you, kid."

As she snatched my arm in her grip and steered me out of the break room and up to the elevator, I spoke my one last line of defense against this. "I've never done this before though."

The doors closed on us just as she spoke. "No time like the present then."

Just a normal day at Westside Hospital.

******************

By the time that it was four o'clock, I had assisted in a three hour long surgery, patched up two broken bones, and helped deliver a baby. One might say that it had been a stressful day.

I had requested a day off for tomorrow so that I could spend quality time with Lilly on her birthday. I don't think that Dr. Allen even heard me as I told him that I wouldn't be at work the next day because his full attention seemed to be on his clipboard. All I got was a weak," Have a good one, Thompson," before I signed out for the day.

As I jogged down the side walk to go pick up Lilly, a chill raced up my back. It was that shiver that you get when you feel something watching you that you just can't shake off. As I did a full 360 around, the only thing different was that the hat booth was gone.

That was okay, though. People disappeared all the time.

I took a bunch of twists and turns along the route to the school, but the feeling didn't shake. As the building came into site, I gave in to the probability that I was just shaken up from this morning, the paranoia getting to me a bit. None the less, I didn't let my guard down.

I arrived just on time to see the doors of the school open and have the kids steadily stream out. All of the children seemed solemn and grim, save one. A cheerful voice called through the tense air and seemed to break through all of the hushed mumbling.