Brave to the End

I'd had better days.

Sure, it was a pretty grim situation to be duct taped to a wooden chair in the deep dark layer of an evil mastermind beneath my new home where he had rigged up a bomb to kill millions of innocent people and start a revolution for the genocide of an entire race.

But I'm sure it could be worse.

I'd been sitting there for hours with a thousand highly improbable ideas running through my head of how to escape and the soreness of my muscles setting in from being in that position for so long. My stomach growled loudly and I knew it must be close to when dinner was served at six thirty. Someone had to have been searching for me by then and I hoped to high heaven that Harry would be able to find me within and hour and a half. We were running out of time.

I tried desperately to stretch out my feet in my new boots and my heart stopped as I felt something brushing against my sock. It was long, slender, and made of metal. It had taken me around eight hours to fucking realize that I had stashed a pair of scissors in my boots before I left for this place!

But hope wasn't lost anymore as I now had a way out, the only issue to overcome now was just getting the scissors into my hands. I wriggled and twisted in all ways possible, but my waist was secured to the chair and my feet were taped snuggly together, completely out of reach from my restrained hands.

Through the cracked door, I listened as boots thudded against the concrete and I paused in my efforts, thinking that they might come in. But it was just a squadron coming from the dark pit and into the hangar, probably away from where they had just checked in on the bombs. The clock was ticking and my bonds were probably not just gonna fall off any time soon.

And then something else happened. It was like a computer powering down, like all the energy was leaving the source. It seemed like as soon as those boots thudded by that the humming of the machines died down, there were no more commands being called out, and I just knew that the whole place was empty now.

There was only one reason why every single rebel would be out of their little hideout and I didn't like it at all.

But now that there was nobody around to hear, I threw all my weight to one side of the chair and let myself fall over with a loud thunk. Ignoring the burning in my left elbow and the bound-to-be bruised knee, I jostled my foot around until I could feel the scissors roll around in my boots. Unfortunately now, I was still not in the best position to grab it and really started to regret this decision.

How long did I have until the bomb would go off? An hour maybe?

The blood was rushing through my body and I could feel some of my limbs start to go numb beneath me. This was how I was gonna die. Pathetic.

And then it was like the moment in the story when the hero is in the belly of the beast and about to accept the impending defeat when a miracle happened.

At the sound of hurried footsteps - heels most likely - I awkwardly tried to turn my head towards the cracked doorway and catch a glimpse of my new company. The metal door was thrown open with a sense of urgency and when I gazed upon the new arrival, my jaw dropped open.

"Oh my god, Summer!" Valerie shrieked, almost toppling over her four inch heels to get to me. Her normally curled hair was tousled from running and hanging all throughout her face and her usual sprightly attitude was switched with terror.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" I practically screamed. Sure, was her timing great to help me out, but it was way too dangerous for her to be in enemy territory.

"Dude, it's like a war zone up there, you won't believe it," she rambled, tumbling over her own words as she bent down to tip the chair back up. "We were sending search parties out to look for you, Harry's been out of his mind, and I shouldn't forget to tell you that there's a whole bunch of weird ass people with guns outside."