One Night

The party was as festive as ever when I reentered the ballroom from the cold, the warmth of the room settling my goosebumps. I tried my hardest not to feel insecure when a bunch of vampires looked my way in curiosity, but it would have been unladylike to flip them off.

My eyes immediately searched for that familiar wavy hair by the corner that we had been dancing, but the area was unmercifully empty. As a matter of fact, as I surveyed the entire dance floor, there wasn't a sign of him at all.

Not wanting to stand too close to the balcony doors, I delved into the crowds and maneuvered myself around the dancing bodies. A few heads turned in my direction, whether because I was shoving them aside or that I was now known as Lord Harry Styles's significant other, I didn't think I'd ever know. There wasn't a thing I could do about the privying eyes but try to ignore them.

Where the hell was Harry? It shouldn't have been that hard to spot an over six foot man with unmistakable hair in a room full of people who all looked the same.

I did see a familiar face though, as I glanced towards the refreshments table. Stemmed wine glasses stood taking up an entire clothed table with red liquid filling almost to the brim. I could only imagine how many people were hurt just so the guests at this party wouldn't go thirsty.

Swallowing my distaste, I tried to regain my composure and smile before greeting my friend who seemed happier than ever in the arms of her date. Valerie truly was a picture, her faded gold dress displaying her body in modest elegance. Comparing her to many of the vampires invited to the ball that night, her dress wasn't skin tight and made her look like what she was: human. She had achieved beauty in a way that I'd never be able to.

She had one of her freckled arms wrapped around Niall's waist that was reciprocated by him in such a light way that no one could think of it as possessive. The sparkle in both of their eyes as they chatted with some folks dressed in obsidian suits glimmered in the light of the chandelier. I almost didn't want to disturb them.

I was just about to turn around and find someone else like Liam or anyone really, but Valerie noticed me right then.

"Summer!" she called excitedly, waving me towards her and her date. Niall grinned encouragingly at me and I took it that I wouldn't be intruding. The men dressed all in black took it as their cue to leave once the Lord's attention had been diverted.

"Hi," I greeted awkwardly, knowing full well that I didn't do well when alone with couples. These situations just oozed discomfort for me. "This party's quite incredible."

"Oh, you think it's crazy now," Niall spoke to be heard above all the chatter. "You should see it around Christmas time! In fact, this will be your first time being around here for the holidays, right?"

Yeah, and my first time celebrating Christmas without any family. How delightful that I'll be spending it among crazy blood suckers this year.

But I neglected to say any of that. "That's right," I said smoothly.

"Oh, you're in for a real treat this year!" Valerie said excitedly and reached over to snatch up a glass of champagne. "All the trees are decorated to the max and everybody's all dressed in their usual sweaters. Not to mention, all the boys tend to take advantage of the mistletoe."

Val looked slyly up at Niall who held her close and gazed down at her with adoration. He leaned ever so slightly down before laying a light kiss delicately on her nose. This had been exactly what I'd meant when I said I felt uncomfortable around couples, but I couldn't deny that they were adorable.

But I was curious about one thing. "Mistletoe?"

The sound of my voice managed to snap them out of looking into each other's eyes and turn back towards me. Valerie took a sip of champagne while Niall actually answered.