The Library

This cahpter is dedicated to @Cuddly_harry121 because she (or he, I don't really know...) was the first to comment. You go girl!

************

Whenever I felt the need to escape the horrors of this world, there was only one safe haven that I knew: books.

They had the ability to take me away to another world and make me forget about all of my worries. That's what I needed right now and I knew exactly how to get it. For the stupidest reason ever, my peaceful and empty bedroom didn't have a single bookshelf in all of its vastness. However, I vaguely remembered Brielle mentioning that there was a library in the east wing.

As soon as I had slammed the door to Louis's office, I walked swiftly and with purpose, glaring at anyone who dared to stare at me. I must have looked a mess with my hair in disarray and having been in a dirty and musty dungeon for part of my morning. But that still doesn't give people the right to stare!

I honestly had no clue where I was going and I ended up in a restroom twice (thankfully the ladies one) and ending up at the other side of the castle by accident. It was a miracle that after only ten minutes, I stood before a set of polished double doors that opened at my touch.

The second that I stepped in, I gasped at the sight before me. Shelves upon shelves adorned every wall and lined themselves up in rows throughout the room. They stretched two stories high and a large window took up half of a wall, letting light stream through. I stepped up to one of the shelves closest to the door and ran my finger along the dark wood, feeling how smooth and pretty it was.

So many books in one room, so much knowledge at my fingertips. It was nothing short of incredible.

I made my way over to the literature section and found one of my favorite books that I had loved since I was twelve: Romeo and Juliet. Most girls liked it because of how tragic the love story was, but I enjoyed it for a different reason. I simply found Shakespeare to be a brilliant writer and thought that it was interesting to try and decipher what each line of the story meant. I must have read it 20 times, but each time I read it I discover something about it that I never noticed before.

I gripped the thick spine in my hands before scanning the library to see a small little nook in the far corner. I walked over giddily, but before I got comfortable in the soft chair, I couldn't help but notice a pair of teenagers over on a couch by the fiction section, huddled close together. There were only a few others in the room, yet these two caught my attention by their muffled whispers. It was quite cute to see the boy drape his arm over the girl's shoulder and have her bury her head into his neck while they read.

I was about to walk back to the plush recliner awaiting me, when the boy lifted his head to where I could see his face. I did a double-take as I realized exactly who I was looking at. Niall's blue eyes sparkled even from this distance and his blonde hair was yet again styled in his signature quiff. Honestly, I should have known that it was him from the bright blondeness of his hair that no one else at this castle had.

It was surprising, though. I thought that a Lord wouldn't have a lot of spare time to go around reading with a random person in the library when there was probably a lot of work that had to be done.

Then the girl that he had been sitting with took her hand away from her face. I nearly stumbled forward as I saw Valerie's gentle face giggling at whatever Niall had whispered to her. She kept on attempting to read to him but his comments kept on distracting her and setting her up in giggles.

Well, this was unusual. When I had first seen the pair of them together, I had simply thought that it was a standard Giver-Vampire relationship. It clearly was way more than that. Even from this distance, I could see the gentle touch that Niall had around her dainty shoulder. I noticed the loving smile cast over Valerie's face as she gazed into his. You might've just shrugged it off, but the little peck that Niall placed on her lips was all the proof I needed.