The Greater Good

Happy Thanksgiving from over here in the U.S!

Things I am thankful for:

-Wifi

-Harry Styles' dimples and perfect everything

-Niall Horan's laugh and perfect everything

-Louis Tomlinson's dance moves and perfect everything

-Liam Payne's bear/tree hugs and perfect everything 

-Zayn Malik. We all know he has perfect everything.

*********

When Logan led me out of the gym and into the night, I was thinking that we were going to go back into the castle for him to explain.

I didn't think we'd be going under it.

But I didn't question him at all when he led me straight through the back hedge and towards the cliffs. The wind bit at my cheeks and the wintry air was oncoming, my hands so stiff that they were unable to adjust my jacket. I swore that my damp hair froze upon contact with the frigid weather, the strands becoming rigid in the wind.

Logan's hand refused to let go of my wrist, the pressure suggesting that it would be only too easy to loose me in the darkness. I didn't have a clue how he coud even see through the shadowed underbrush, the moon's light unable to penetrate through. But he moved as if he'd known the path his whole life, which he might've perhaps.

And then the foliage of the hedge opened up to the cliff side, probably one of the most terrifying and magnificent views I'd ever seen. Just like last time, the edge dropped a good fifty feet or more, the distance seeming almost greater over here before it met the thrashing waves below. I took a hesitant step forward to peer over and I could just feel it in my bones that there were rocks beneath the surface making death instantaneous.

It was really cool.

The wind was more intense over the open water so Logan's grip on my wrist tightened even more to prevent any slip ups. I turned to my right and saw the regular tunnel leading across the cliff side and castle for safety and I wasn't surprised when we slipped through the entrance.

The breeze vanished instantly and I became quite aware of the stuffiness, the confinement of the very narrow passageway. I hadn't ever been claustrophobic before, but it didn't feel right to be here where the floor could crumble away at any second. The sooner we got out of here, the better.

We must have been half way across when Logan came to a complete hault, my body crashing into his. I could only mumble apologies that he ignored, releasing my wrist to scower the walls for something.

"Logan?" I prompted, confused by his random actions. He only grunted in response, not ceasing in his actions. "What are you looking for?"

"It's a little ledge that when you push it, it-" He was cut off by the noise of stone rubbing against stone resounding from the wall he had been searching. "Opens."

The passageway was still pitch black, but I could just feel the open space in front of me and I blindly stepped forward into the darkness. The doorway was small letting only one person enter at a time and the path it led to wasn't any less narrow. 

I could feel the heat of Logan's body in the cramped space behind me, goading me forward into deeper shadows and my legs hesitantly complied. My shoulders would sometimes nudge against the smooth stone and my feet would occasionally trip over a loose tile but I didn't let it stop me. The air was contaminated by the scent of mildew and sea spray and I knew this tunnel must be ancient.