A Chance I'll Take

I would have updated sooner but my computer was deciding to be a pain in the butt. However, here we go.

*******

Liam kept his promise to me to stay by Lilly the entire time that I was gone. When I opened up the door, he was still in the same position that he'd been in when I'd left, sitting right beside her sleeping body and gazing down it in a protective nature.

He looked up instantly, his muscles tensed, but he loosened up when he realized it was me. He shot me a toothless smile that welcomed me to come over and sit by him which I did as I kneeled down on the carpet.

Lilly looked beyond incredible as I examined her injuries, or where there should have been injuries. Her skin had the absolute faintest shade of yellow where one of her more serious bruises had been and not even a scar was left behind from any of her cuts. Her cheeks didn't look as hollow and her arms no longer looked as if they were bones with skin wrapped around them.

"Oh, my God, Liam," I whispered, words not coming to me easily to thank him. This was amazing. No, that's not a good enough word. This was miraculous, incredible, extraordinary. Amazing would never be a suitable word to convey how appreciative I was of this right now. A debt I'll never be able to repay.

"I did my best and made sure that she had enough sleeping pills to knock her out til you got back." Liam stammered quickly. "She's gonna be completely healed up come morning so-"

He was cut off as I threw my arms around him in a grateful hug, a mediocre attempt at showing him how appreciative I really was. I muttered into his neck a thousand thank you's before retreating my arms.

I must have made Liam a bit uncomfortable because he gave me an awkward pat on the back before exiting the room. Well, that's a boy in any emotional situation for you.

I looked back to Lilly to see that she was still passed out, the steady rise and fall of her chest a sign that she was still deep in her world of dreams. Never in a million years would I dream of waking her up from that.

All in all, I didn't see a point in going back to my room unless I was prepared to get caught by Louis. After all, the consequences would be rather 'severe' as he liked to put it. I'll risk a lot of things, but I wasn't stupid enough to see how far I could push before I fell.

I snuggled up next to Lilly on the queen sized bed, kicking off my flats and deciding that the dress I was in was a pretty comfortable night gown. Harry's coat still lay draped over me because I didn't want to risk getting under the covers and disturbing her from sleep. The jacket had already become warm and I could feel the way its soft interior enveloped me in its hug.

I was happy, no other way to put it. What did I have to worry about?

^^^^^^^

Come morning, I was half on the bed and half off, my feet dangling over the edges and cold at the touch from being exposed so long. My muscles felt tingly and as I moved my tangled hair from my eyes, I realized that that had been the best sleep I'd had in years.

I did have a mini heart attack however when I saw Lilly's side of the bed empty, the sheets tousled around.

It's that moment when you immediately jump to the worst conclusion, except when it came to Lilly, I tended to cannon ball into them. It's nothing that you can do to reshape the way human nature is and that's how I justified nearly flipping the bed over.

 Was she dead? Kidnapped? Did she run away?

I got my answer as she meandered out of the closet that I hadn't noticed was open, clad in a dress of her favorite color- midnight blue. The long sleeves bunched around her wrists, but it was slightly reassuring that the fabric wasn't hanging to loosely around her.