Bad Liars

I fell back on the bed and let myself be pulled down in the warm comfort of the sheets. It had felt like ages since I had last rested properly without any stress and that streak would continue as long as I was living here. My sleep would be uneasy with an eye open every night.

I had only been lying there for a few seconds when the throbbing in my cheek became prominent. I lifted my hand up to my face and felt just how swollen it had gotten in two hours, a bruise definitely accompanying it. Of course, the Enforcer had hit me pretty hard. I hadn't felt it until now because the adrenaline was fading away.

It's nothing to worry about, I told myself. I've endured way worse and I was going to tough out the pain until it healed along with my arm and ribs.

Now I had to start on my number one priority: escape.

I know, I know. It would probably be futile, but I had to try. The worst way that this could end is with me being hunted down and killed, but that wasn't really an issue. Death didn't bother me anymore as I had nothing to live for with my sister and I's lives already doomed. Death actually seemed welcoming if I had to live like this.

I leapt up from the warm sheets with new found energy in my system. I instantly looked towards the two windows, my only option with the corridors under constant patrol.

I yanked back the navy blue curtains and evening light poured in the room. It didn't take long for my eyes to adjust because the sun was setting off in the distance. If I didn't think about how I was basically a slave, I would have thought the view was stunning.

However my heart plummeted as I looked downward from the glass to see that my room was located eight stories in the air. If I decided to jump, I would end up as a pancake right in front of the entrance and boy would that be a welcome to visitors. It was a long way down.

Eh, I'd risk that. 

I turned back and surveyed the room for any resources that I could use for the attempt at climbing down. My eyes locked on the mahogany wardrobe that sat off to the corner. I could fashion a rope out of clothes and drop onto one of the roofs below. It would make it such a shorter jump and it might end up not being lethal, only painful.

I jolted open the door of the dresser and was as disappointed as a naughty kid on Christmas to see the bare inside. Not an article of clothing in sight. I shouldn't have expected anything, though, my arrival kind of sudden.

With a large weight on my heart, I came to the conclusion of what I had to do. I had to just jump.

I dreaded every step closer to the window, every step closer to the fall, to potential death. I kept telling myself over and over that it was much better than what I was leaving behind, but the threat of dying is difficult on the heart of a nineteen year old girl.

But I downright refuse to be a Giver. No way in hell.

My fingers trembled slightly as they undid the latch holding the window closed. It clicked in place and the glass slid out as I pressed lightly against it. Wind whistled as it brushed my face and I closed my eyes at the cool comfort of it.

Fear clawed at my heart as I leaned over the edge to look at the ground. It looked somewhat higher now as I gently slid my legs and feet over the edge and sat there, anticipating just what would happen. I glanced at the roof scooted just a little to the left of my dangling feet. If I fell right now, I would end up as a grease spot on the front drive way. If I somehow fell more towards the left, there was a chance that I would survive, but the height was still two stories below me.

Be brave.

I couldn't back out. I wouldn't. Just as I was about to push myself off and aim for the tiled roof below, a voice sounded from the doorway of my room.