Separated

Lilly's whimpers could be heard throughout the entire two hour journey and my heart seemed to weigh a thousand pounds. Although my arm was flaring up in pain and my entire abdomen felt like it was being wrung out like a sponge, my number one concern was for her. My hands were still handcuffed behind me and a sack covered my eyes so I was blind to my surroundings. I was scared to speak in case the Enforcers would hear, but I decided to take that chance.

"Lilly? Are you alright?" I whispered and the sounds of her crying died down as she heard my voice.

"Summer?" she spoke in a weak voice. I could almost imagine the look of hope in her eyes, but the pain on her face as well. I hoped that it was only because she was scared, because if they hurt her, I was going to smash a few more guitars over their heads.

"Yes! It's me, Lilly! I'm right here! Are you okay?" I asked with concern in my voice. I prayed with all my might that she wasn't hurt.

"I'm fine but I can't see anything, There's a bag over my head and I can't move around that much." I could hear the desperation and frustration in her voice as she tried to wiggle around.

"It's okay. I'll try to come over to you." I attempted to get up on my knees from the position on the floor of the van, but it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. My hands were tied behind my back and I couldn't lean on my arm to steady myself. I couldn't do a regular sit-up because my torso was in intense pain. After a few minutes of enduring the misery, I managed to get into a sitting position and took a deep breath. I squirmed over to the sound of Lilly breathing and settled myself beside her warm body. I swear, I could hear her heart beat, it was thumping so loudly.

"Are we going to be okay?" she asked in a shaky voice. I could tell that she was crying and I attempted to soothe her.

"I hope so." It may have been a lie, but it was what she needed to hear. I couldn't bear to tell her of what our actual fate would be. I could only guess that they'll make the execution as painful as possible. I'm not sure if I want to die first so that I don't have to watch her get killed, or if I want her to die first so that she doesn't have to watch my death. It was a lose-lose situation either way.

She nestled closer in my chest and I softly hummed against her skull. The bumping of the tires against the road beneath us told me that we weren't in the city anymore. That only confirmed my worst fears. Everyone knew exactly what lay right outside the city and I never wanted to set foot there in my life.

"I just want you to know that I'm so sorry, Summer." Lilly whimpered before soft cries escaped her.

"It's okay, Lilly," I assured her. "We're gonna be okay." Lies.

I wouldn't cry. I couldn't cry. When they opened the doors and led me to my certain death, I wouldn't let them see my fear. I've got to be strong.

I was thrown forward a bit as the van came to sudden halt and my breathing quickened. Lilly tensed beside me and I could sense her panic. The doors opened and the bag was whipped off of my head. My hair flew in a mess around my head and I had to blow it out of my face.

Sunlight streamed in through the doors in the back and my eyes were forced to adjust to the harsh lighting. I heard a bag being whipped off of Lilly's head and I turned to see her squinting against the sudden sunlight. I was relieved to see that she wasn't harmed, but her puffy eyes still seemed like a wound to me.

I gazed towards the doorway where the two vampires stood smirking at us. I glared into their eyes but their smirk only grew more sinister. It almost made me miss the annoying one of the vampire from the alley. What I wouldn't give to be there instead of where I was now.