Sneek Peek

Aubrey had just changed Neveah when the doorbell rings. She wraps Neveah in her blanket then heads down the stairs, bouncing her baby in her arms. She shuffles over to the door and opens it up. As soon as she does, ice laces her veins and she wishes she hadn't opened it at all.

"What are you doing here?" Are the first words to fly out her mouth.

The boy on the other side of the door only grins. His charming brown eyes and slick white smile nearly paralyzes her. His gaze lands on the bundle in her arms. "So it's true, you did have a baby."

"H-how did you find me?"

"Believe it or not I actually had a hard time tracking you down. Victoria wouldn't tell me, your mom wouldn't tell me. I had to go to your old friend Crystal." He says then looks around. "Connecticut huh? I thought you'd go somewhere more flashy like New York."

"Why are you here?" Aubrey tries again.

"I've missed you Bre. Haven't you missed me?"

Aubrey shakes her head. Months ago she would have said yes, remembering all the good times they had. But now, after the way he stabbed her in the back and twisted the knife, missing him is the last thing on her mind. "N-no."

"Why not?" He smirks, "We had such a good time together. Has Connecticut made you reevaluate your life and suddenly become a saint?"

Aubrey takes a step back, "You need to leave."

The boys eyes only burn into hers as he steps closer to her, forcing his way into the house. He looks around, taking in every detail. "Nice place, is it yours?"

"Seriously, you need to leave. My aunt is coming home soon." She lies. Her aunt wouldn't be home from work for another three hours, but he doesn't need to know that.

"You're lying," He chuckles. "We used to date Aubrey. Remember? I know all your bluffs, I can read you like a book."

"Just get out of here, before I call the cops." She says, picking up the phone from the coffee table.

"Call them, what are you going to tell them? That I broke in? You opened the door, I just walked in. You gonna tell them that I'm harassing you? The most they'll give me is a slap on the wrist." His dark eyes gleam as he shrugs his shoulders and walks closer to her.

Aubrey holds Nevy close to her chest, her heart pounding violently. "What do you want Jeremiah?"

"You Bre, I want you back. Your sister was a mistake, you can't compare to her."

"My sister never wanted you."

"Really? Is that why we've been fooling around since you left?"

A sharp pain burst in Aubrey's chest and she swallows hard. "You're lying. She told me--"

"That I forced her? Yeah right, she liked it and she kept coming back. Don't believe everything you hear."

"Then why should I believe you?"

"Because you always talked about how evil your sister was and I was always the one to give you a shoulder to cry on. Did I ever steer you wrong?"

Aubrey looks into his chocolate brown eyes and looks for any signs of sincerity or deceit. But she can't see anything but a vast pit of darkness. Breaking their gaze, she looks at the floor and adjust Neveah in her arms. "It doesn't matter anymore. I'm with Keenan now and we have a daughter. So whatever happened with us is over and forgotten."

"You can't forget me. I was your first everything."

"And after first there comes second." Aubrey shrugs. "Now leave."

Jeremiah looks her up and down with a heavy gaze that makes her fidget. He pinches the blanket wrapped around Neveah and rubs the soft material momentarily. "I've always want you to have my baby. We'd make cute parents, you know?"

"Leave." She says through clenched teeth.

He smiles and strolls to the door, Aubrey follows behind him, ready to slam it shut and lock it. He turns to face her with an icy smile. "See you around Aubrey."

She only stares at him, refusing the satisfaction of a response. With a wink, he walks out the door and down the steps. Aubrey slams the door shut and locks it, then peeks through the curtains to watch him leave. He walks through the neighborhood like he owns the place before disappearing around the corner.

With a pounding heart she paces back and forth across the floor. Her head spins and she clutches Neveah for dear life. Why would Crystal tell Jeremiah where she lives now? And why would Jeremiah go out of his way to find her? Is it true, does he actually miss her and regret cheating on her with her sister? And Victoria. Was her heartfelt apology really bullshit to get Aubrey to forgive her? Jeremiah was right, before he cheated on her he never did anything to steer her in the wrong direction. If anything he was her savior, the person she would run to when things were going wrong. He was always there to comfort her and love her, tell her everything she needed to hear. He was her best friend, boyfriend, first person she's ever given her heart to. Now she's just confused.

The phone rings in her hand and she jumps and drops it on the floor, the back pops off and the battery slides across the room. The sudden noise makes Nevy start to cry and squirm in her blankets. Aubrey sits on the couch and puts Neveah over her shoulder, rubbing her back to comfort her. Her nerves are on end and she wants to cry but she fights the tears welling up in her eyes. Just when things were going good, they take a turn for the worst.

THIS WAS JUST A SNEEK PEEK AT THE NEXT BOOK WHICH IS OUT NOW!! CALLED: Getting It Right
(updated version of character pics are in the third book)