Chapter 20

The snow day was a nice break for Sevyn and she was disappointed when her mother woke her up for school the next morning. As she gets dressed in front of her mirror, she notices that she's still wearing the necklace Jackson gave her. She touches the heart pendent wondering whether or not she should take it off. He gave it to her as a christmas present and it means alot to her but it seems pointless to wear it since they're broken up now. Still, she's gotten so used to wearing the necklace that she'll feel naked without it.

 "Come on Sevyn we're leaving!" Malcolm shouts from outside her door.

 "Alright!" She calls back. She stuff the necklace under the neckline of her shirt and decides that she'll take it off if Jackson has taken off the dog tag. She grabs her bookbag and phone and hurries out her room before her brothers leave her. She says bye to her mother and rushes out the door just in time for Ty to climb into the passenger seat of the car. She slides into the backseat as Malcolm starts up the car and backs out the driveway.

 By the time they pull up to Shaun's house, Sevyn has one headphone in her ear half listening to her brothers discuss what movies they want to see and half listening to K.Michelle singing in her ear. After a few minutes of waiting Shaun comes out the house with a completely straight face and a slump in his walk. He gets into the car silently and doesn't say anything for at least ten minutes.

 "Um, you good Shaun?" Malcolm asks, turning in his seat to face him.

 Shaun looks away from the window and meets Malcolm's eyes. "Yeah just tired."

 "Come on, even when you're tired you have more energy than this. What's up?" Malcolm tries again. Sevyn glances at Shaun who just shakes his head and looks out the window. He remains quiet which even Sevyn has to admit is odd for him. Usually he's the loudest person in the car but today he's the quietest he's ever been. Malcolm gives up and turns to face front again. Sevyn wants to ask Shaun what's bothering him but whatever he's going through must be personal. He usually shares everything with everyone so for him to be so closed up right now it has to be something serious. Sevyn knows the feeling of not wanting people in her business, she's been through it multiple times and is still going through it.

 When they get to school, Shaun is the first one out the car. The other get out the car and watch as he swiftly walks away from them and bounds up the steps, disappearing through the school doors. Ty and Malcolm exchange a confused look with eachother before shrugging and heading to the school doors. As Sevyn follows them a car horn honking catches her attention and she turns to see Monica pulling up to school. She stops and waits for her friend to park the car before getting out and walking towards her. She's dressed in a white shirt, snug red cardigan and a pair of khaki pants. Her hair is pulled back in a curly ponytail. Sevyn laughs as some of the boys stop to take a double look at her, nudging their friends so they catch a glance too.

 "Good morning!" Monica says walking up to Sevyn.

 Sevyn hugs her friend. "Good morning. Tell me again why you're a lesbian? You have all these guys begging for your attention." Sevyn nods her head towards the freshmen boys who are oggling her from head to toe.

 "I dunno. I feel like girls are easier to manange cuz I am one." She says shrugging her shoulders. She glances at the two freshmen boys and winks, making them giggle and push eachother. Monica links her arm through Sevyn's and they walk into school together with about five minutes to make it to first period. They walk into English class just as the bell rings. Their teacher gives them a glare and they stifle a laugh before taking their seats in the middle of desks. Their teacher, Mrs. O'Dell stands at the front of the class room and waits for silence before speaking.

 "First things first..."she begins.

 "I'm the realest," someone in the class whisper making every laugh as they recognize the Iggy Azalea song. Mrs. O'Dell rolls her eyes and continues. "Since we're almost done with Macbeth, instead of assigning an essay I've decided to assign to a project. You will be able to work in groups of no more than four. I want you all to choose a scene from the play and act it out. And I don't mean simply throwing on a sheet and a witch hat and saying you're one of the weird sisters while you read out the book. I mean authentic costumes and line memorization."