Chapter 31

After their talk in the mall, Manny got bold and decided to finally call Sevyn. They either talk or text everyday and never get bored. She was excited to learn more about him because he's so shy and she wants to pull out of his comfort zone and really find out who the real Emanuel Evecarria is. Plus he's funny. Not like haha funny but awkward and adorable funny. He tries so hard to use up to date American slang and jokes that it just turns out to be hilarious. Sevyn loves talking to him, they could talk for hours and it could feel like a minute. Plus he's so fascinating when he talks about Spain, his culture and how he grew up. Talking to him makes Sevyn want to visit Spain one day and experience everything he has.

"So you and Manny huh?" Monica says as Sevyn's fingers fly across her screen. She looks up when her text has been sent to Manny.

"What about him?"

Monica smirks and Sevyn rolls her eyes. "Don't even try and put ideas in my head. We're just friends and he's fun to talk to."

"So I'm not fun to talk to?" Monica puts a hand against her chest feigning hurt. Her eyebrows slanting downwards and her lip jutting out in a pout.

"Yeah but I know everything about you." Sevyn says.

Monica raises an eyebrows and leans closer to her so no one can hear. "What's my deepest secret?"

"You're into that weird domination shit where people get tied up by their lover and---"

"Ok!" Monica cuts her off. "You proved your point."

Sevyn laughs, "I like Manny as a friend and nothing more. He's gives good advice and he's so adorable Monica omigosh."

"Maybe he should hang out with us one day and get to know the crew."

Sevyn looks back down at her phone as a text comes through. "Maybe."

The period before lunch, Ty is in anatomy getting ready to dissect a sheep heart. Their teacher Mrs. Edwards assigns partners an of course he gets paired with Shaun because luck is not on his side today. Instead of arguing, he walks over to Shaun's table and sits down on the stool beside him. They already have on their goggles and gloves so the only thing they have to do now it cut open the heart and dig around in it until they find the listed items and write down what they do.

Without saying anything, Shaun grabs the paper that has the instructions on it and skims the procedure before picking up the heart and figuring out which side is firmer. Once he's determined the left side is firmer, he writes it down and picks up the probe from the tool kit and sticks it down one of the vessels.

"Write this down," He tells Ty. "The inferior vena cava is on the right side." He says.

Ty writes this down silently. He doesn't mind just recording all the information, touching a sheep's heart makes him want to throw up and the smell isn't too great either. The fact that he's touching the heart of a dead animal makes his skin crawl and its taking everything in him not to release his breakfast on the floor.

"The largest blood vessel is the aorta," Shaun says. Ty nods and writes this down. For the remainder of the class this is how it goes. Shaun discovering something and Ty writing it down. The tension between the two is thick enough to cut. Even people around them can sense it.

"Alright this is the tricuspid valve," Shaun says.

Ty is about to write that down but then stops. "No that's the heart strings."

For the first time since they started the lab, Shaun looks at Ty. "I'm pretty sure the heart strings are under neath this. This is the tricuspid valve," he says.