Chapter 62

They said the pain would be horrible, but she never imagined pain on this level was even possible. Each contraction feels like extreme cramps on steroids, her uterus feels like there's boxing match going on inside of and she can't help but sob a little. A sharp scream erupts from deep within Aubrey's chest just as the door opens and in walks Keenan.

 Her aunt looks up from where she's holding Aubrey's hand. "Thank goodness you're hear, maybe you can calm her down." She says, pulling her hand from Aubrey's death grip.

 Aubrey's eyes focus in on Keenan's. "Keenan, please come here. Come sit with me, please. Please!" She begs, before clenching her teeth shut as another shock of pain hits her.

 Keenan crosses the floor over to Aubrey's side and pulls up a chair to sit in. He takes her hand and cringes at how tightly she latches onto his hand. "How are you doing?" he asks, looking in to her frantic eyes.

 "I-I just want this baby out." She pants. "I d-didn't know it would be this bad." A long groan falls from her lips and she winces.

 "How far along is she?" Keenan asks.

 "She's in early labor, she's not fully dilated so it's not time to push yet." Her aunt replies as she rubs her sore hand.

 "Ugggg," Aubrey groans out, "I want some pizza."

 Keenan laughs, "How can you even think of food at a time like this?"

 "Because I'm fucking hungry, your daughter decided to come just as I finished making some grilled cheese. I didnt even get to eat it before I had to call the ambulance." Aubrey growls, glaring at him accusingly.

 "Well when the baby comes I'll get you something to eat." He assures.

 "I'm hungry now." Aubrey cries, snatching her hand from his and punching him in the arm. Her strength amazes Keenan as his arm throbs with pain. She throws her head back against the pillow and squeezes her eyes shut. "I feel like I'm going to throw up."

 Just then a lady comes in wearing scrubs and gloves. "Here, drink some water for your nausea." She hands Aubrey a cup full of water then turns to Keenan. "You must be the father, correct?"

 "Yes, I'm Keenan." He says, reaching out to shake her head.

 "I'm Dr. Kelly," She tells him. "Are you nervous?"

 "Oh yeah," Keenan smiles.

 "Don't be, from the looks of it this will be a smooth labor." She tells him before walking to the foot of the bed. She spreads Aubrey's leg and takes a quick peek. "She's actually dilating quite well, we'll probably begin pushing in about an hour."

 Aubrey's head pops up from the pillow, "An hour!? Oh God, can we start now?"

 "Be patient Mrs. Bryant, your baby girl will be here before you know it." Dr. Kelly smiles.

 Aubrey rolls her eyes, "Easy for you to say. You're not the one in labor, are you? No. I am, now get this damn baby out of me."

 "Baby--" Keenan begins but Aubrey sharply cuts him off.

 "Shut up Keenan, you can't talk either. You did this." She snaps, glaring at him with a scowl settled on her lips. He rolls his eyes and plops down in the seat feeling defeated.

 Aubrey starts sobbing again, "I'm so hungry."

 Dr. Kelly chuckles, "I'll bring you some ice chips." She disappears out the room, shutting the door behind her. Aubrey's aunt smiles and shakes her head, sitting down in the chair along the wall. "You should have seen the way I ran out of work when I got the call that Aubrey was brought to the hospital. I jumped up from my desk and knocked over my coffee, it spilled all over the key board and I was rushing too much to clean it up."