Chapter 13

Everyone welcomed Jackson back with open arms and warm smiles. The teachers offer their condolences and the students amp him up for basketball season to really begin. Now that he's back in Connecticut he can catch up on the basketball games he missed and Coach is working him twice as hard. For Sevyn, that means less time to have to spend with him, but she doesn't mind. All that matters is that he's back.

Sevyn, Corey and Shaun are sitting on one of the benches in the hallway before school starts, planning Shaun's party on Saturday.

"So who's bringing the drinks?" Shaun asks.

"Drinks as in alcohol?" Sevyn asks and Shaun nods his head. "Nah then count me out, the last thing I need right now is to be surrounded by drunk people."

Shaun nudges her knee, "Don't be a punk, live a little."

"Um, do you remember what happened last time? I almost got raped." Sevyn points out, arching an eyebrow.

"But this time you have Jackson to protect you and you know your brothers not gon let nothing like that go down again." Corey says. "Plus it's a house party so not much can happen without us knowing."

Sevyn gives him a doubtful look and Shaun nudges her knee again. "I promise nothing is gonna happen to you. You trust us right?"

She looks at Corey who pokes out his bottom lip and widens his amber eyes. Sighing she uses her finger to tuck back in his lip. "I'll think about it." She hasn't been to a party since that horrible night at Macy's sweet sixteen. It's like everyday something reminds her of Keenan, of the assault, of the pain. No matter how much she tries to focus on the happy things in life, her mind can never push away the events of that night.

"Well look who it is," Shaun announces. "Little red riding hoe."

Sevyn looks up and sees Monica approaching them. Her hands are tucked in the back pockets of her jeans and her red hair is in wild curls. She tenses when their eyes lock briefly before shifting her gaze to glare at Shaun. "Shut up stupid."

"Long time no see Money, where you been?" He asks her, his eyes looking her up and down.

"Outer space," she replies crossing her arms and jutting out a hip. She looks at Sevyn who is staring at her like they haven't seen each other in years even though they see each other every day in class and in the halls but never speak.

Corey clears his throat, "Um lets get out of here Shaun." He says sensing the tenseness.

"Nah I wanna see the drama unfold." Shaun leans his elbows on his knees and props his arms up like a child ready for story time. Monica shoots him a look and mutters some vulgar words in Spanish that makes Corey laugh. Shaun sucks his teeth and stands up, "Whatever y'all ain't that interesting anyway." He says, following Corey down the hall. Sevyn watches them walk away until they disappear from her sight then looks down at her lap and picks at a stray thread on her pants.

"So..." She says slowly.

Monica leans against the wall, her face softer than before. "Do you miss me?" She asks. Sevyn doesn't respond, she doesn't want to be the one to cave in first. Monica sighs, "Cuz I miss you." Another silence falls over them before Sevyn finally decides to meets her eye.

"You were right." Monica finally breaths out. "I let my anger out on you and was way out of line. when I had no reason to. I let my anger out on you and I shouldn't have. You didn't deserve that and if I could take it all back I would." She shakes her leg up and down, not able to sit still. Sevyn continues to stare at her and Monica feels like a bug under a microscope."Sevyn I'm so so---"

"Shut up," Sevyn says and Monica closes her mouth. Sevyn smiles softly and shakes her head. "I have been through so too much in the past few months to keep this grudge against you any longer. You're my best friend and I love you and I've missed you alot." She admits and one of the weights on her shoulders disappears. "I need you so much right now Money, you have no idea what kind of stress I'm under."