Chapter 71

"Ok, now tell us who won." Ty says.

"Won what?" Talia asks. They boys exchange a look to see who's gonna tell the truth. Thankfully, Corey does it for them.

"You're boyfriends had a bet to see who could ask y'all to prom the best." He admits, watching as the girls all take in the same 'bish whet' type face. "Winner doesn't have to chip in to pay for the rental car."

"Oh really?" Sevyn asks, crossing her arms and glaring at Jackson. He raises his hands in surrender.

"It was Malcolm's idea!"

"Thanks a lot," Malcolm mugs him as the girls stare him down. He gives them an innocent smile. "Don't be mad at me, Corey and Shaun are the ones who have to choose the winner now."

All eyes turn to Corey and Shaun and the smirks on their face drops. "Why did I agree to this?" Corey wonders out loud. He rubs his face and looks around at his friends. "Out of all three of y'all, we honestly think that---"

"What is that?" Monica points at the ground where a piece of pink paper is cut into the shape of a paw print and has been taped down. Monica's name has been neatly written in cursive and she bends down to pick it up, turning it around to see that the back is just blank space.

"There's more over there." Sevyn says pointing a few feet away from them where the paw prints are leading to an area behind the school. Curious, Monica starts heading in that direction but Shaun grabs her arm.

"Don't do it. That's how people die in movies, they follow the scary clues and get killed." He warns her. Monica rolls her eyes and pushes him off her. She continues walking to the back of the school and Sevyn shrugs before following her. Slowly, the rest of them tag along, Shaun hesitates before reluctantly following too.

Monica picks up the paw prints as she goes and passing students watch her curiously. The nosey ones even follow her to the back of the school to see what she finds.

When they get to their destination, a crowd has gathered around the big oak tree that offers a lot of shade during the summer. Theyre's all looking up into the branches and Monica's eyes travel upwards until she spots it. Someone is sitting on one of the thick branches of the tree, holding a sign angled downwards. Monica has to squint through the sun to read it.

"Monica, it would be purrfect if we went to prom together. Love, Kat."

Monica laughs as Sevyn takes a picture of her reaction. "You knew didnt you?" She asks.

"Maybe," Sevyn says slyly and Monica pushes her playfully. She looks up again at Kat who's swinging her legs back and forth. "Well?" Kat yells.

"Get down here!" Monica yells back.

Kat lets the sign flutter down to the ground where someone picks it up and hands it to Monica. "Catch," Kat yells to no one in particular before jumping off the branch. A group of kids join together to catch her and she thanks them before hopping out their arms. She moves through the crowd over to Monica, who giggles when she sees that she's dressed in a cheetah print body suit with black cat ears and a tail. Some boys whistle as they look her up and down but she only has eyes for Monica.

"Wow," Monica breaths out looking her up and down. "You really went all out."

"I wanted it to be purrfect for my baby." Kat says pinching her chin. "And I'll be very upset if you made me climb a tree for nothing. I broke multiple nails just for you."

Laughing, Monica puts her arms around Kat's neck. "I would love to go to prom with my kitty." She confirms and the people who stayed to watch clap for them. Kat kisses her softly and Monica blushes, something she does on rare occasions.