thirty-eight

Everyone was silent before Carlisle spoke. "Aro, you see there's no law broken here."

"Agreed, but does it then follow that there is no danger," the man said as he stepped forward. "For the first time in our history...humans pose a threat to our kind." He faced his people. "Their modern technology has given birth to weapons that could destroy us. Maintaining our secret has never been more imperative. In such perilous times, only the known is safe. Only the known is tolerable...and we know nothing of what this child will become. Can we live with such uncertainty? Spare ourselves a fight today...only to die tomorrow."

Just then, Edward's expression changed. "Alice."

Alice and Jasper emerged from the woods, walking towards the Volturi. When they got close, a few guards stopped them.

"My dear, dear Alice," Aro said. "So glad to see you here after all."

"I have evidence the child won't be a risk to our kind," Alice stated, holding out her hand. "Let me show you."

"Brother," Caius said but Aro didn't listen.

Alice shoved the guards out of the way. When she reached Aro, he grabbed her hand. After what seemed like forever, Aro let go of Alice's hand, terrified. He looked at all of us. Though Edward's mind, I had watched the vision. It was definitely not something I'd want to happen.

"Now you know," Alice said. "That's your future. Unless you decide on another course."

"We cannot alter our course," Caius said, stepping forward. "The child still poses a grave threat."

"What if you were sure she could remain concealed from the human world?" Edward asked. "Could we leave in peace?"

"Of course, but that cannot be known," Caius answered. Alice looked at us.

I used my gift, focusing on the energy around Edward, who read Alice's mind. They found someone like Renesmee. Two people, a man and woman walked past us towards the Volturi.

"I've been searching for witnesses of my own," Alice explained. "Among the Takuna Tribes of Brazil."

"You have enough--" Caius began but Aro cut him off.

"Let them speak, brother."

"I am half human, half vampire," the man said in a thick Brazilian accent. "Like the child. A vampire seduced my mother, who died giving birth to me. My aunt raised me as her own. I made her immortal."

"How old are you?" Bella asked.

"150 years," the man answered.

"At what age did you reach maturity?" Aro asked.

The man answered. "I became full grown, seven years after my birth. I have not changed since then."

"And your diet?" Aro asked again.

"Blood; human food," the man answered. "I can survive on either."

"These children are much like us," Marcus said to Aro.

"Regardless, the Cullens have been consulting with werewolves," Caius said. "Our natural enemies.

Aro looked at Caius before looking back at us. Then, he turned and walked away. "Dear ones, there is no danger here. We will not fight today."

I smiled as the Volturi sped out of the field. I turned to Emmett, kissing him hard. "We did it."

He smiled back. "Yeah, we did."

***

"Emmett, why do I need a blindfold?" I asked curiously as Emmett lead me into what I assume is the Cullens because I could hear everyone talking. All our friends had decided to stay a little while longer. It's the day after the whole fiasco with the Volturi and Emmett said he wanted to show me something.

"Because it's a surprise," he answered. I just sighed as he lead me through the house. He suddenly stopped, removing the blindfold.

"Congratulations," everyone shouted.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "What?" Everyone was looking behind me so I turned around to find Emmett on his knee, holding open a velvet box with a gorgeous ring inside it. I felt myself smile as Emmett looked nervous, but excited.

"Blake, when I first met you, you were this quiet boy who didn't really talk to anyone. I felt intrigued because of it; you were mysterious and I liked it. Now, you've evolved into this beautiful thing I get to come home to everyday. I know this is cheesy and all, but I love you to the moon and back. Ever since I met you, I've been falling hard and I don't think I could live without you. We've been through so much together and i thought it was finally time. I had wanted to do this sooner but with everything going on, I had to wait. But now-- now I can live my life in peace...with you. So, Blake Arizona Swan, will you do me the honor of marrying me?"

I rolled my eyes when he said Arizona, but immediately nodded. "Yes! A hundred times yes."

Emmett smiled, putting the ring on my finger. I pulled him into a long, hard kiss as everyone cheered. "I love you so much, Emmett."

"I love you, too, Blake."
____________________________________
Ok, I ACTUALLY cried writing that last scene. Emmett and Blake are getting married!!!!! Finally!!!

God, this is amazing. I will say that Falling Hard will officially be ending tomorrow. It's crazy how far Blake has come. He used to be this quiet boy, but he's evolved and I feel like a proud mom. I'm so happy and proud of how this story turned out. I think it might be my favorite so far.

Anyway, I'll see you all soon.

Buh-bye.