twenty-two

"You know, if I could, I would just sit at home with you all day long," I grumbled. Emmett chuckled.

"Only a little bit longer."

As Emmett parked the Jeep, I saw Edward and Bella talking to Jacob, causing me to furrow my eyebrows in confusion. Emmett noticed and looked in that direction. I was about to get out of the car when he grabbed my arm.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"It's ok," I reassured. "Jacob's a friend."

I got out of the Jeep, Emmett following close behind. When I reached them, I gave Jacob a small smile. He returned it.

"He's checking to see if you're still human," Edward said with a humorless chuckle.

Jacob turned his attention to Edward, glaring at him. "Look, I'm here to warn you. If your kind come on our land again..."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"Wait, what?" Bella asked.

Jacob looked at Bella before looking at Edward. "You didn't tell her?"

"Just leave it alone, Jacob," Edward said.

My sister looked at her boyfriend. "Tell me what?"

Edward hesitated before turning to her. "Ray and Paul...had a misunderstanding. It's nothing to worry about."

Jacob scoffed. "Listen to you. Did you lie to get her out of town, too?"

Edward got in Jacob's face. "Just leave...now."

"She has a right to know," Jacob said. "She is the one the redhead wants."

"Victoria?" Bella asked. I bit my lip. No one said anything. "Alice's vision."

"I was trying to protect you," Edward said.

"By lying to me." Bella let out a light breath. "We're gonna talk about this but you," she said looking at Jacob. "Why haven't you called me back?"

I took this as a sign to leave so I grabbed Emmett's hand and dragged him into the school.

"I'm glad that's not us," I mumbled. "I would hate to be in love with two people."

"Well, I'm sure as hell glad you're not," Emmett said, kissing the back of my hand lightly. I smiled at him as he smiled.

"Me too."

***

"This book is literally trash," Emmett said. "I can't believe you're making me read this."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Um, Perks of Being a Wallflower is not trash."

"I--" just as Emmett spoke, his phone began to ring. He closed the book and set it aside before grabbing his phone and answering it. "Carlisle... uh-huh... what?....ok, we'll be right there. Bye."

"What's wrong?" I asked as I looked at the worried expression on his face.

"Someone was in Bella's room."

***

"Who was it?" Carlisle asked. "Is it someone we know?"

"This was a stranger," Edward answered, shaking his head. "I didn't recognize his scent."

"A nomad passing through?" Esme suggested.

"A passerby wouldn't have left Bella and Blake's father alive," Rosalie stated.

Ray and Jasper walked into the living room. "The scent disappeared about five miles south of Bella's house," Jasper said.

"Someone's orchestrating this," Carlisle said.

"Victoria?" I suggested.

I noticed Alice shake her head. "I would've seen her decide."

"It has to be the Volturi," Edward said.

"I don't think it's the Volturi, either," Alice said with a shake of her head. "I've been watching Aro's decisions, too."

"So, we'll keep looking," Ray said.

"We'll also take shifts guarding Bella at her house," Carlisle said.

Rosalie gave Carlisle a look. "Another protection detail?"

The room was silent until Bella spoke. "No, she's right. You can't protect me, watch my dad, and search for the intruder."

"And for Victoria," Rosalie added.

"And keep yourselves fed."

"I'm not going to leave you here, defenseless," Edward argued.

"Well, I'm not gonna let you starve," Bella argued back. "And I wouldn't be unprotected. I have..."

"What?" Edward said, probably knowing what my sister was thinking; Jacob.

***

As Emmett and I watched the house, I heard leaves crunching behind us. When we turned, two giant wolves stood there, their head lowered, obviously not wanting to be anywhere near us. One of them was brown and the other was silver. When the silver one looked at me, I saw slight pity in it's eyes. Does it pity me? Wait, it probably knows I'm Bella's brother. I grabbed Emmett's hand and we turned and walked away to hunt. This is not going to be an easy alliance.
____________________________________
Hey guys, I'm back. Sorry for not updating last week, but as you already know, I was at a dance. The dance was ok, but it was a bit boring because the guy I like doesn't like me back and he looked REALLY good and we didn't dance, sadly. But, this is the SECIND dance in a row that we've matched colors.....TWICE! I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

Anywho, I just can't with Blake and Emmett anymore! They're so cute!

I hope you guys liked this chapter. I'll see you guys soon.

Buh-bye.

Also, this chapter isn't edited so bare with me.