twenty-three

It's been a few days since the Cullens and the wolves started "working together". Because vampires and shape-shifters don't get along, it's been slow. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that I'm Bella's brother because they seem to have recognized me when we changed shifts. I know I'm Bella's brother, but I wouldn't doubt that they all hate me because I'm a vampire; from what I've been told, they're pretty much hardwired to hate and kill us.

***

"Seattle is in a state of terror," the lady on the news said. "Authorities are baffled at the number of murders and disappearances. Theory's range from a vicious new gang to a wildly active serial killer."

If only they knew. I saw Bella and Edward walk into the living room as Carlisle turned off the tv. "It's getting worse. We're going to have to do something."

"It takes more than one of our kind to cause the damage they're reporting," Jasper stated. "Quite a few more. They're undisciplined, conspicuous..."

"It's newborns," Edward said.

"What, like new vampires?" Bella asked.

"In the first few months after they change."

"That's when we're at our most uncontrollable, vicious...insane with thirst," Jasper explained. I know the feeling.

"Something to look forward to," Emmett said sarcastically beside me with a smirk.

"No one's trained these newborns, but this isn't random," Jasper said, turning to Carlisle.

The man let out a sigh. "Someone's creating an army."

Emmett stood up. "Now we're definitely going to Seattle."

"An army of vampires?" Bella asked, fearfully.

"And they've been created to fight someone," Jasper added.

"We're the only clan even close to Seattle," Edward explained, confusion written on his face.

"Regardless of why they were made, if we don't put a stop to them, the Volturi will," Carlisle said. "I'm surprised they let it go on this long."

No one said anything for a moment. "Maybe they're behind it," Edward blurted. "In Italy, I read Aro's mind...he wants me, Alice, and Blake to join him. He knows we'd never join him as long as our family is still alive." Aro wants me to join the Volturi?

I felt Emmett's arm wrap around my waist protectively.

"An army could solve that for him," Jasper spoke.

***

"I never would've thought that Bella and I would be stuck in something like this," I said softly. It's late and Emmett and I had decided to go home. Emmett's changing into shorts from his jeans while I sat in bed, thinking.

"You'll get used to it," the by said, climbing into bed with me.

I put my head on his chest. Emmett grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers. "Honestly, I'm glad I said yes to coming to Forks... Because if I hadn't, I wouldn't have met you."