Chapter 4 Wedding

Days have gone by. I still can't believe the conversation i had with my so called future husband. Today is the best day to get married. That's what the priest told my parents. In about a year none of this will matter. None. I will be long gone and this will be ancient history.

''There is a woman who came for you'' my maid says. I look at her with a big frown. Someone for me? Huh. ''Let her in'' i tell the maid. 

''Hi'' i hear a voice behind me. As i turn around i am in some kind of a shock. The maid. His lover. My future husbands lover. What is she doing here? I think she could tell that in a million years, i would have not expected her here. ''What are you doing here?'' i ask her. Not in a harsh or sarcastic tone, just a normal tone. I was genuine curious as of why she was here, in my room. ''I have some things to talk to you about. Do you have time right now?'' she asks. I nod and show her where she can sit down. There was an awkward silence before she started to talk. It looked like she had what we Indians call a ''Churail'' in her. As in a tantric witch. ''I am not here to sugarcoat things. There is no way we can be together for now, but we will be together. I don't know why you haven't said no to this wedding. I know Jay is very handsome, but if i were you i would be careful. I am in a good state to do everything to keep him only for myself'' she spits out. ''Are you threatening me?'' i ask her. She then sighs. She stood up and was starting to come closer to me. She then starts choking me. Wow she is really good i think. What an awful amount of strength. It felt like i was becoming dizzy. ''No one will stand in the way of me and my money. No one!'' she screams. Money? I thought she wants Jay. She then leaves the grip on my neck and leaves. Leaving me again in shock there.

Hours went by and we were all at the venue. I was already tired of doing all of the rituals and so was Jay. Marriages are an important rite of passage in an individual's life for any religion or culture. It marks one's true entry into adulthood, marking him or her fit for taking on the responsibility of well-being of another human being. I could see the frustration on his face. The last tradition was up next, also the one that finalizes this wedding. According to Hindu beliefs, marriages are made in heaven and once the marriage is solemnized, the two souls are joined for seven lifetimes. The seven vows of marriage are the seven promises which the bride and the groom make to each other for a happy and prosperous life. They are bound together by an unseen bond protected by these promising words. Without exaggeration, the seven vows can be said to contain the crux of an ideal marriage that is to be practiced by the bride and groom.

The seven vows, known as Saptapadi, are performed along with Mangal pheras, which is walking around the sacred fire. Any Hindu marriage is incomplete without these vows and is deemed complete once they are conducted. On the day of the wedding the bride and the groom sit under the Mandap or the scared canopy for this ritual. The sacred fire is lighted along with the customary Home puja done by the priests. The corners of bride's saree and the groom's Uttariya are tied in a sacred knot by the priest. They are then asked to stand up and take the seven 'Pheras' or circumambulations around the sacred fire, all the while uttering a different promise with each Phera. The bride is seated towards left of the groom before the Pheras, while towards the right after they are complete. The Seven Vows along with the Seven Pheras are the most important ritual in a Hindu Wedding as it sanctifies the union and affords social recognition to the marriage. This is evident from the fact that when love marriages performed in temple, without a social gathering, marking the holy priest and the Almighty as the only witness, they only consist of seven vows or pheras around the fire.

As we finished those i am feeling even heavier. All of these energies are really killing me. I just have this feeling in my heart to run away from everything. After everything has been done, we all go to the stage, where a beautiful throne has been placed so that everyone can now come and congratulate us, again. I am so tired. Right now i want to sleep. 

As we wait there alone i have just this reflex in me and blurt it out. ''Your lover choked me hard'' i tel him. Before he could react i hear the booming sound of fireworks and music. As i look up i see this beautiful strings of fireworks. I then look at him and he is in shock. He just stares at me as i frown at him. 

We did not get to talk about it as it became even busier than ever. The rituals were still not done. I was so irritated now. Finally everything stopped. I didn't even see my parents. It didn't matter. I didn't matter. The business deal was done and i fulfilled my duty as a daughter. Now it was time to go to his home. I don't call it my home, because it will never be my home. I don't know what will happen now...the first night is upon us... i can already feel my palms sweat.