Chapter 49

Virgil sat up with a start gasping for air, tears still flowing freely down his face. He looked around his surroundings, but couldn’t get his eyes to focus on them. He couldn’t figure out where he was. He couldn’t breath. He pulled his knees up to his chest and started hyperventilating. 

Roman who had not left Virgil side since they had returned home, and been sleeping rather uncomfortably in a chair near the bed. He was jolted from his sleep by the sudden far coursing through his veins. His reaction was instant. Virgil needed him. He saw that Virgil was finally awake and his heart started jumping for joy, but his excitement was squelched by the fear rolling off his mate.

Roman went up to Virgil and gently grabbed his wrist and pulled them from their place wrapped around his legs. His legs had been scrunched up against his chest. 

Virgil stiffened at the warm tingling feeling on his wrist, but then he recognized the warmth. He knew this feeling. His nose was met with the enticing smell of roses and cinnamon. He blinked and then he could see before him was Roman. His body immediately relaxed, his breaths smoothed out and his heart rate decreased. It was Roman. His mate. He was here.

“Virgil are yo-” Roman was going to ask something but his words were interrupted by Virgil slamming his lips onto Roman’s. Roman was surprised at first but quickly recovered. Kissing back just as passionately. Being apart had been torture on both of them. They were both thrilled to have the other in their arms. Unfortunately, they did have to come up for air at some point. Breaking apart Virgil leaned his head into Roman’s shoulder. 

“I missed you so much Ro,” Virgil said in a whisper, but Roman could hear. “I was so scared and confused, and Molly…” Virgil froze up a broken sound coming from him, “Oh, god Molly…” Virgil’s head shot up suddenly.

“What happened to them? To Molly’s friends? You didn’t hurt them right? They helped us! They are on our side. Please tell me at least the made it out that hell hole.” Virgil said his protective nature for his pack members showing, whether he was aware that they were in fact his pack or not, didn’t matter he had to know they were okay. That’s what mattered.

“Virgil, shh calm down. They are all fine. If you try I bet you could even smell them. They are in the pack house right now. We have been waiting for you to wake up.” Roman said calming Virgil a bit. Virgil tried to smell for them but he was so frazzled all his nose was picking up was Roman’s calming aroma. 

Virgil’s brow furrowed as he thought for a moment, “ How long have I been asleep?” He questioned.

“About a week…” Roman said. Right after Virgil’s stomach growled. It seemed to be angry to find out that it hadn’t been given food in over a week. Virgil and Roman looked at Virgil’s stomach and then back at each other. Locking eyes for a second before bursting out laughing. To laugh made Virgil feel like the cloud that had been hanging over him since being away had finally dissipated. It was still there, but now some sun was coming through.

“Do you need some food dear?” Roman asked.

“Don’t call me dear!” Virgil said firmly. Roman froze had he done something wrong? Why wasn’t he allowed to again? What did he do? 

Virgil smirked, “ I mean come on you are far more creative with your nicknames to just call me dear.” Virgil said with a wink. 

Roman’s eyes lit up with a bright smile in them. “Ah, I see! Perhaps this shall better suffice. Come my emo prince let us gather provisions to provide you with a hearty meal!” Roman said standing up and offering Virgil a hand. Virgil smiled. 

“There we go, much better Princey.” Virgil stood up, he was a little wobby from lack of food.

Roman shook his head, before scooping Virgil up into his arms princess style. “You aren’t walking anywhere until you eat.” Virgil rolled his eyes but let himself be whisked away towards the kitchen. 

____________

After Virgil had finished eating, Roman made the suggestion to let everyone know he was awake now. And while Virgil wanted to just spend time with Roman , he knew he would have to see them eventually. He was very uneasy about it though. How could her friends not hate him? It was his fault their friend was gone. 

Before Virgil could even start to spiral, Roman grabbed his hand a squeeze gently snapping Virgil out of his thoughts. Roman gave him a reassuring smile. Virgil steadied his breathing before nodding at Roman. Roman’s eyes got a little hazy as he mind linked the others. Almost immediately he heard a gasp from upstairs, and then a door slamming open and a pair of footsteps. Seconds later a gasping Patton was standing in the door frame. He smiled brightly before lunging at Virgil tackling him in a hug.

“My dark strange son is awake!” Patton screamed. The others were there soon after, just not as fast as Patton. They all spoke in happy voices. Surrounding Virgil in a warm blanket of comfort. Zalea and Ash were there too Ash headed to the fridge to get everyone something to drink. Zalea was standing by Logan having an in depth discussion over different fruit spreads. Xel was singing show tunes randomly, much to some of the other’s annoyance and Roman was struggling with whether he should join in or hold his mate longer. He decided that Virgil was better than singing and held on to him even tighter. Remy and Emile were cuddling together, and Remus and Cassidy had moved to the side of the room to have a makeout session. What? Everyone else was busy, why couldn’t they enjoy themselves too. 

Everything was happy. 

Virgil felt light being surrounded by such wonderful people. He had a smile gracing his lips as he looked around the room, but it fell when he remembered something was missing. His heart sank and his smile left him. 

Feeling his mates mood change Roman squeezed Virgil’s shoulders, “What’s the matter love?” 

“I just miss her.” 

Roman’s face morphed with confusion, “Miss who?” Roman asked. 

“Molly, she should be here… but she’s not.” 

Roman’s eyes widened and he felt like face palming, “Oh my god I’m an idiot! Of course you wouldn’t know. You’ve been unconscious for forever.” 

It was Virgil’s turn to be confused. 

Xel piped in “Well he would know if someone would stop hiding in the hallway!” Xel yelled at the end so they could be heard by the shadow lurking in the hall. 

“XEL! You ruined my dramatic entrance!” The person and Virgil’s eyes widened. The person walked in and smiled. 

Standing there alive and breathing was Molly! 

“Hi Virgie, I told you I was fine.”