Chapter 2

“Marry!? Marry!? Where did you go? You promised you wouldn’t leave! Marry I need you! Marry please! Please answer me!” He called through the silent phone. Virgil could feel his heart crack even further the original spider webbing out until the whole thing looked like it would crumble. 

Virgil who had thought he had no more tears left to cry was once again sobbing as he curled in on himself on the dingey street corner. He didn’t know what to do or where to go. He sat there alone for several hours just alone. Eventually the sun began to set. He didn’t care. He wanted to be enveloped in the darkness that was surrounding him. 

“Virgil? Virgil are you there?” Virgil heard his name being called through the fog in his head. 

He lifted his head to see where the voice was coming from, but it was too dark and his eyes were too blurry with tears to see. So he just shook his head and lowered it back down into his knees. “Yeah, I’m here” He said weekly.

“Oh, thank God I found you.” The person stated. It was a woman, but his head was to fogged to think clearly. “Virgil, it’s Anne. I am here to take you home.” Oh it’s Anne one of the matrons. Why was she here? Marry was supposed to come pick him up.

“Where’s Marry?” He asked quietly. 

“Oh, Virgil I-I… I am so sorry.” Anne said softly. Tears pricking her eyes. 

Why was she sorry? Where was Marry? 

“Virgil, please just let me take you home.” She stepped closer and tried to grab his arm and pull him up off the ground. 

“No!” Virgil screamed pulling his arm away from her with more strength than even he expected causing him to fall backwards, but he quickly righted himself. “I’m not going anywhere until I see her! She is supposed to get me. She promised! She promised she would get me! Not you! Where is she? Why isn’t she here?” Virgil demanded. 

Anne sighed, oh how she wished she didn’t have to tell him.

“Virgil… Marry she is… Dead.” 

And with just that word everything in Virgil shattered into dust, being blown away by a harsh wind scattering him across a dark abyss. Virgil couldn’t feel anything anymore. He was numb. 

He let her pull him to her car. He didn’t say a word the entire car ride back to the orphanage. Anne might have said things to him, but if she did, he didn’t hear her. Once he got back he immediately ran to her room. Despite the calls of other people around him. She had to be there. She couldn’t be gone. She promised him that she wouldn’t leave. 

She promised! Once he had gotten to the room he flung her door open and ran inside. “Marry! Where are you? Marry this isn’t funny! Please come out! Please…” Virgil cried as he collapsed to the floor. Where he stayed for the rest of the night. Hoping that she would walk in the door telling him it was all some cruel joke. She never came, and she never would. 

Virgil later learned what had happened. When she was on her way to come pick him up she had been too distracted as she had pulled onto the highway. Not paying attention she had been hit by a semi truck. The medics had been on sight within minutes,  but she had been killed on impact. 

When Virgil had heard what had happened his tears came back with a vengeance. It was his fault. If he had never called her. She wouldn’t have been driving. If he had just let her hang up, she wouldn’t have been distracted while she was driving. If Virgil didn’t exist he wouldn’t have ever called her. She would be alive, if it wasn’t for him. 

Life was cruel. Life was unfair. Virgil had never done anything wrong in his life. Yet in a matter of a day he lost everything that mattered to him. Everyone who mattered to him left him, abandoned him. He didn’t want to be alone, but being left hurt more than isolation. So, he was never letting anyone else in. Then he could never be left again. 

___________

After that Virgil stopped going to school. The matrons couldn’t get him to do anything. They decided since school was almost done for the year they wouldn’t push him. He never left his room, he would barely ate, and he didn’t talk to anyone.