Chapter 17

It had been nearly two weeks since Virgil had shifted back. Virgil was still adamant about not getting close to anyone. He kept his walls high and didn’t talk much to anyone, but a small amount of progress had been made. They were now able to coax Virgil out of Roman’s room. He was also eating a regular amount of food again. He didn’t ask to leave anymore. He understood now. He couldn’t. He didn’t know anything about what he was and if he changed in front of humans he would probably get taken to some sort of lab and be experimented on. He avoided thinking about that as much as possible. The thought of it was almost enough to send him into a panic attack. He had asked what everyone thought happened to him. Logan informed him that ‘the human’s at the orphanage’ had filed a missing person’s report, but a lot of people thought he had just run away. It was the same day after Virgil had asked about it that Logan came up to him.

“Virgil I have something for you.” Virgil looked up from the book he was reading. It was one of Logan’s books.

“What is it?” Virgil asked with mild suspicion.

Logan handed Virgil a file stuffed full of papers with ‘Virgil Miller’ written on it in the top right corner. Virgil stared down at it with knitted eyebrows his face scrunched in confusion. “This file is from your orphanage.”

Virgil’s head shot up to look at Logan, “How?”

“It is my job as the Beta of this pack to gather data for my Alpha.” Logan stated. 

Virgil’s eyes widened in horror. He could guess the information in this folder and it was not anything he was ready to share with anyone. “Did he..?”

“Has Roman seen it?” Logan clarified. Virgil only nodded. “No, neither he nor I have looked at it.” Virgil sighed in relief.  “I am giving it to you, because…” Logan trailed off for a second his face tinting a slight pink color. “I am aware how sometimes it is hard to express yourself verbally. I uh, thought if you had the option to share it without communicating it may be easier.” Logan said stumbling over himself slightly. “I am by no means trying to pressure you to say anything you don’t want to. I am just giving you an alternative option if you so choose. I know I wasn’t the most, uh…” Logan looked down at what Virgil thought was a flash card “chill, at our first encounter, so I was hoping this could help to make amends for that situation.” Logan clammed up realizing he had been talking too much. 

Virgil smirked and gave a small laugh, “Now I can see it.” 

“See what? I don’t see anything that couldn’t be seen before?” Logan said confused ducking his head to look from a similar angle as Virgil. 

“No, no it’s an expression. It’s just now I can see how you and Patton are mates. I couldn’t before. You seemed too cold and closed off to be with such a lively puffball as Patton, but I get it now.” Logan wasn’t cold and closed off. He was just awkward and socially inept. That was something could empathise with a little bit. “Anyways, thanks for this. I guess.” He planned on hiding it away as soon as possible, and to never show it to anyone, but he appreciated the thought.

______

The next day Virgil was in the kitchen grabbing some breakfast when a very tired looking Remy came into the room. 

“Oh. My. God. Where is my happy bean juice! I need it to feed my addiction.” Remy flopped dramatically over the table Virgil had sat down at. “I don’t suppose you have made any have you.” Remy said looking at Virgil through his shades. Virgil shook his head. “Ughh girl your killin me here! Fine I guess I’ll make some. You want any?” Remy asked looking over his shoulder as he walked over to the coffee maker. 

“Sure.” Virgil said casually. 

The room fell into silence after that. A few minutes later Remus was placing two coffee on the table. He sat down across from Virgil and propped his feet on the table. 

“You know Emile will probably kill you for having your feet like that.” Virgil stated. He had already gotten into mild trouble with Emile about having bad table manners.

“I like to see him try. I love him dearly, but he ain’t much of a fighter.” Remy said with clear adoration for his mate in his tone. 

“I don’t know, I feel like he is the type that could be scary as shit if you pissed him off.” Virgil said with a shrug taking another sip of coffee. 

Remy laughed and nodded. “Yeah you’re probably right. Oh! Speaking about that fabulous man he got me a new iPod and headphones. I was wondering if you want my old crap. It’s not great, but you seem the type to like music.” 

Virgil’s eyes lit up a little bit. He loved music and he had missed it since he had been here. Especially during his panic attacks. He tried to play it off. “That’s cool I guess.” He said shrugging.

“Great! Hang on one sec babes. I’ll go grab them.” Remy left the room and quickly returned with a pair of be black bulky headphones and a purple iPod. “It’s funny. Seems purple is your color isn’t it. I already got some songs on here, but if there are any you want I can show you how to download more.” 

Virgil nodded and took the device from Remy.