I'm A Walking Travesty (All Time Low Fanfic) - Chapter Thirty

Chapter 30

Valarie’s P.O.V

Jack took a seat in a chair beside the door that lead to the doctor’s office. I was going in for one of my regular ‘check ups’. Apparently there was a chance that I could have prolonged effects from the crash. The doctor shut the office door behind me as I took a seat at his desk.

“Now Valarie,” the doctor said in his usual monotone voice that always made everything sound like it was a life or death situation, “I’ve got the results back from your brain scan.”

I swallowed hard. This time, it really did sound like a life or death situation. The doctor stood up and dimmed the lights, pinning up x-rays of my brain on the black light board. He started pointing at different parts of my brain. It was all a blur, and all I really heard was “… You’ve got a brain tumor.” 

I felt myself sink in the chair and I put my head in my hands. Now I understand why he told Jack to wait outside. I swallowed back the lump in my throat and dried my eyes before lifting my head up to see the doctor sit back in his seat. He waited until I composed myself before he spoke again.

“There is a chance that we can remove the tumor, as it was only caused by the trauma your brain went through during the impact of the crash. We believe that is what sent you into a coma. We’ll have to book you in for surgery as soon as possible though, to have the best chance of terminating it.”

I just nodded. I didn’t trust myself to talk, afraid that I was going to burst into tears.

“It is up to you if you tell anyone. I’ll be keeping in touch to let you know of surgery dates.”

The doctor gave me a half smile before opening the door and showing me out. Jack stood up as the door closed behind me. I wrapped my arms around him and buried my head in his chest. He rubbed my back with his hand, but didn’t say anything until a choked back my tears and pulled away from him slightly.

“What happened?” He asked.

“Nothing, they were just checking the usual,” I lied.

I’d decided not to tell him. I didn’t want to worry him. The last thing I needed was him running around after me trying to make me feel better. I’d rather my life be normal for the first time in months, more or less.

Jack squeezed me hard before taking my hand and leading me out to the car. Tonight was the night of Alex’s bucks’ party and Sam’s hens’ night. Jack drove us home where we both started to get ready for the night. Of course, the boys were going to a stripper club, while Sam had opted for a quieter night at her own house, or so she thought.

“What should I wear?” I asked, holding dresses over my body.

“You look dazzling in anything,” Jack said with a wink as he came out of the bathroom in just a towel.

“Now, no talking to strippers,” I said.

“Yes, Val.”

“No looking at strippers. No touching strippers. No thinking about strippers. No con-.”

“Yes, yes, I get it,” Jack laughed, cutting me off.

“Good,” I smiled, pulling on a spaghetti strap dress with silver beading at the bust and lavender colors material at the bottom.

Jack locked the door and he dropped me off at Sam’s house. Sof was already there, and Cass text me saying she was on her way. Sof and I smirked at each other when I walked in the front door. Sam didn’t know all of the trouble we had in store. Sam’s living room was filled with pastel colored balloons and a coffee table sat in the middle with bowls of food and a punch bowl. Sam and Sof hugged me in turn before the doorbell rang again and Cass entered. She hugged everyone and started handing out party poppers, hats and horns.

Music was pumped up as more people that Sof and Sam were friends with poured in the door. I didn’t know half of them, but after a few beers it didn’t even bother me. The doorbell rang again, and Cass shot a smirk in my direction.

“I didn’t invite any more guests,” Sam said, frowning.

“No, but we did,” Cass laughed.

Before Sam had the chance to open the door, a male stripper dressed as a cop walked in. Before she had the chance to yell at either of us, he started his dance, yanking off his shirt and twirling it around. We all laughed as Sam was pushed back onto the couch, before she eventually started crying she was laughing that hard.

We played corny, little kid party games which ended up just acting as a reminder of how old we were getting. Cass put a blindfold over my eyes, before spinning me around three times and handing me a baton and pointing me in the right direction.

My arms flailed around in the air before I finally hit the piñata. After a few hits, it smashed and I could hear the sound of lollies clattering to the ground. Before I had a chance to get my share, I felt the world spin around as I stumbled to the ground. I tried to grab anything nearby to keep myself upright, but the ground just kept getting closer until I was lying on the ground.

“Val? Are you okay?”

“Fine, I’m fine.” I groaned as I picked myself up off the ground. “Just had a bit too much to drink.”

“I’ll call Jack,” Cass suggested.

I just nodded. I’d rather leave the hen’s part, than ruin the wedding tomorrow. People I didn’t even know helped me to my feet before getting me to sit down on the couch and handing me a glass of water. I took small sips and squeezed my eyes shuts as I tried to stop my head from reeling. I knew exactly what was going on, but I still chose not to say anything about it. Suffering in silence sounded a lot easier that having everyone tell me how sorry they are and trying to go out of their way to help me out.

The front door opened again and Jack hurried through, pushing through everyone before kneeling down beside me. He put a hand against my forehead, as if a fever had caused my collapse.

“Are you okay?” he asked softly.

I just nodded my head as he grabbed my hand and helped my up. I said my goodbyes to the girls before I was dragged out the door toward Jack’s car. He helped me in before closing the door behind me and climbing into the drivers side before speeding down the road to his own house. Greta met us at the door with a glass of water and some painkillers.

I took the glass and swallowed the painkillers before Jack directed my down the hall to our bedroom. I sat down on the bed as he knelt down beside me and pulled of my shoes. I pulled on my pajama pants before I unzipped the back of my dress and pulled on a singlet. Jack tucked me in before he got himself undressed into his boxers.

I noticed that he had already laid out our outfits for tomorrow’s wedding. His suit was hanging on the bathroom door while my dress hung over the window. Jack shut off the light and climbed into bed beside me, pulling me closer to his chest.

“What happened?” He asked, stroking my hair with his fingers.

“I was hitting the piñata and I sort of just fell. I blacked out for a bit I guess. I think I just drank too much.”

“Nothing happened at the doctor’s that I should know?”

“No,” I lied.

He just nodded and lay on his back. I felt guilty for not telling him, he really did need to know. I decided I’d tell him when the time was right. At the biggest moment of Sam and Alex’s lives really didn’t seem right at all.