I'm A Walking Travesty (All Time Low Fanfic) - Chapter Twenty

Chapter 20

Jack’s P.O.V

I couldn’t believe what I’d done. I’d gone home drunk with some girl I’d met in the bar. I’d slept with someone that wasn’t the girl I loved. I felt my hands start to shake and I felt anger boil up inside me.

I’d never felt so alone. The emptiness started in the pit of my stomach and ran through the rest of my body like a poison. I couldn’t feel anything. Not the harsh wind that whipped against me as I stood on the roof, not the warmth of a beer as it ran down the back of my throat and not the I’m sorry’s from everyone who talked to me.

I clutched Valarie’s sketchbook to my chest. It was the only thing I had that physically reminded me of her. I pulled my phone from my pocket and absentmindedly dialed Valarie’s number. It rang for a while until her voice mail finally kicked in.

“Hello, you’ve called Valarie. I’m busy living the dream with my favourite band right now, please leave a message, dude.”

I kept dialing her number just to hear her voice again. It was so musical to my ears, like a the first time you finally perfect a song you wrote yourself. As I exited out of the call I nearly started crying when I saw the background of my phone. It was me and Val with blue tongues from some drink we’d tried at a pub. Her nose was crinkled up and her eyes were squeezed shut, but she still looked as beautiful as always.

I’d never met anyone like her. She was always so happy, so loud, so perfect. And she’d been ripped away from me. I felt anger wash over me and I couldn’t work out who I was angry at. Was it the driver that hit her in the first place, or her parents for turning off her life support?

I couldn’t understand any of what I was feeling except that I’d lost the one of the only people that had ever meant something to me.

Cass’ P.O.V

“Where’s Jack?” I shouted at anyone that walked past.

“He went on the roof,” Rian said.

“What? YOU LET HIM ON THE ROOF?!” I shouted.

I ran toward the stairs before Rian could answer, quickly scaling the stairs to the roof. I found Jack standing right on the edge in the darkness, his hair and clothes whipping in the wind. He turned his head to look at me, but the guy I was looking at wasn’t the Jack I knew. His eyes were dark and looked as though they saw straight through me. His lips forming a thin line and his hair lay flat, covering most of his face.

“Jack, what are you doing?” I asked, taking a step forward.

Jack didn’t move or say a word. He slowly turned his head so he was looking over the edge of the roof again.

“Have you ever wanted to end it all?” he asked darkly.

I didn’t answer.

“To get rid of the pain?”

Jack looked back up at me, his eyes sullen and sparkling in the moonlight. I took a few more steps forward but he still didn’t move. Jack hadn’t been is usual self since last night, and I hadn’t realised until now how much he actually loved her. I’d never thought anything of the way he looked at her, the way he moved so freely around her or the way he was so in sync with her. They were meant to be.

“Jack I need to tell you something,” I murmured, “Can you please step away from the edge?”

Jack shrugged his shoulders but stayed where he was.

“Please?”

Jack let out a sigh and finally took a step away from the edge of the roof. I moved closer to him and nearly fell over in surprise as he threw his arms around my and started to crying into my shoulder.

“I miss her so much,” He mumbled into my shirt, “I need her.”

“Jack, I need to tell you something,” I said.

Jack pulled away from me a little so he could look down at my face.

“You know how Alex told you that they’d turned off Valarie’s life support?”

His face fell at the mention of Valarie’s name but I continued on.
“Alex left before they turned it off. She woke up, Valarie woke up before they turned it off.”

I watched as his face lit up and he hugged me tight before sprinting down the stairs from the roof.