I'm A Walking Travesty (All Time Low Fanfic) - Chapter Twenty Eight

Chapter 28

Jack’s P.O.V

We were just a few hours from home. As much as I loved touring, I couldn’t wait to sleep in my own bed. Everyone was tired and just sleeping the last few hours of the trip away. Sam and Sof were organizing bridesmaid dress shopping. Alex, Zack, Rian and I were still yet to buy a suit. I popped open my third can of beer and gulped it down.

Suddenly, ‘Lost in Stereo’ broke the silence between everyone as Valarie’s phone started buzzing on the dining table before falling onto the floor. I went over and picked it up to answer it. The caller ID said ‘Mom’. I knew Valarie hadn’t spoken to her mum since she came out of a coma, but I answered anyway.

“Hello?”

“Who is this?”

“It’s Jack,” I answered.

“Oh, hello Jack. Is Valarie around?” Her mom asked.

Before I could answer, Valarie appeared from the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her hair and body. I looked over at her and she gave me a look that said ‘who is it?’.

“Your mom,” I mouthed.

“Tell her I’m in the shower,” Valarie said angrily as she pushed past me to the bedroom, slamming the door shut behind her.

“She’s in the shower,” I told her mom quietly.

“No she isn’t, I heard her just before.”

“She doesn’t want to talk to you right now.”

“Put her on the phone, Jack.”

I sighed and muttered a quick okay before knocking on the bedroom door. Valarie didn’t answer so I pushed it open. She pulled her singlet over her head before turning to me and putting her hands on her hips.

“She wants to talk to you,” I said.

Valarie groaned and held out her hand. I gave her the phone, but didn’t leave the room. I had a feeling I was going to have to referee a massive fight.

“What, Mom?” Valarie asked grumpily.

I leaned against the wall as Valarie started yelling. I reached out for her hand but she pulled it away. I folded my arms across my chest, restraining myself from pulling her into a hug as she started crying and yelling about how her mother was going to turn the life support off. Eventually, Valarie hung up, threw her phone on her bed and threw herself into my arms.

“Sh, it’s okay,Val,” I whispered over and over again.

I stroked her hair as her tears dampened my shirt.

“I’m sorry, Jack,” She murmured.

“Why?”

“Just, everything. I’ve put you through so much. You don’t deserve this.”

“Don’t be stupid, Val. I’ve caused just as much of this.”

Valarie squeezed me tighter before wiping her eyes on the back of her hand.

“How much longer?” She asked.

“An hour or so,” I answered.

“I’ll have to call Freddy and see if I can stay with her.”

Valarie started to turn away to get her phone but I pulled her back so that she was facing me.

“Val?”

“Yeah?”

“Do you want to move in with me?”

Cassandra’s P.O.V

I stood awkwardly by myself in the bridal dress shop as Sam and Sof bounced off the walls looking at all the different styles of dresses. Valarie was running late so I kept to myself. I didn’t think I could have felt anymore uncomfortable than this. The skinny, size zero store clerk came over to the three of us to see if we needed any help. She looked me up at down, scowling at my red hair and giving dirty looks to my band tee and beat up converses.

“Can I help you?” She asked, turning her back to me and looking at Sam.

“Yes, we’re looking for bridesmaid’s dresses for three.”

The doorbell chimed as the door opened and Valarie came to join us. The store clerk gave her a dirty look and Valarie just gave her a mocking smile.

“Sorry I’m late.”

Sam followed the clerk around the shop before she finally picked 3 strapless, light blue dresses that came down to the knee and poofed out at the bottom. It wasn’t exactly mine or Valarie’s style but it wasn’t our wedding so we just went with it.

I was handed a size eight and pushing into a dressing room before the curtain was pulled shut. I stripped down to my underwear and pulled the dress on over the top, sighing when I couldn’t fill out the chest. Sam handed my some padding, which helped a little but made me feel fake and uncomfortable.

I took the dress of and gave it back to the clerk before leaving the dressing room to wait for Valarie to show us what she looked like. As always, her perfect curves suited everything, and I couldn’t help but feel small and irrelevant.

Once we had all tried the dresses on and Sam had decided that those were the ones she wanted, we all left the bridal shop. Vinnie was waiting outside for me and he pulled my hand out of my pocket, wrapping his around mine. He led me away from the other girls toward a coffee shop on the corner. We sat down in one of the booths and ordered a coffee.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

“Nothing,” I murmured.

“I don’t believe you. You’re really distant today.”

“I’m just tired.”

Vinnie just nodded but didn’t say anything else. I loved that about him; he wouldn’t push if he knew I wouldn’t shove. I sighed and shoved my ginger locks out of my face.

“It was just the girl in the bridal shop,” I told him eventually.

“What happened?”

“I dunno, she just gave me dirty looks because of my hair and the way I dress.”

“What’s wrong with the way you look?”

“Nothing, i-.”

“I think you’re perfect just the way you are, Cass. No one should make you feel any different.”