I'm A Walking Travesty (All Time Low Fanfic) - Chapter Twenty One

Chapter 21

Alex’s P.O.V

I brushed my hair out of my face as I sat on the sofa clenching my fists into tight balls. They were sweating like mad and butterflies were filling my stomach. I swallowed hard and nervously raked a hand through my hair. I re-rolled the white sleeves of my dress shirt again and shuffled my feet on the ground. It wasn’t going to be easy to forget the small lump in my pocket tonight.

“I’m ready,” Sam’s voice echoed through the empty bus as she emerged from the bedroom.

I looked up at her and was nearly knocked off the sofa by how beautiful she looked. Her short dark brown hair was gently curled and her perfect figure was framed by a soft pink dress that made her tan skin angelically glow. She flashed me a smile and I stood up and followed her out of the bus.

We entered through the back of the venue to a table that sat right in the back corner. I absent-mindedly touched the lump in my pocket as we sat down across from each other. A single rose sat in the middle of the table in a glass vase and a few petals had dropped onto the white tablecloth. A waiter came over and we both ordered. He brought over a bottle of wine and poured us each a glass. I took a sip while watching Sam carefully.

“Sam,” I murmured.

She looked up and smiled, “Yes Alex?”

“With all that’s happened with Jack and Val, it’s made me realize that I, that I love you way more than I thought I had,” I fumbled over my words.

Sam leaned across the table and took my hands in hers. “I love you too.”

“I never want to lose you,” I said.

I slid myself out from my seat and knelt down on the floor on one knee. I fumbled for the lump in my pocket before pulling out the small box and opening it to reveal the small ring that I’d spent hours choosing. Sam gasped and I looked up at her.

“Will you marry me?” I asked.

Sam tried to choke out some words but instead hastily nodded her head. I smiled and stood up as she embraced me before pulling back so I could slide the ring onto her finger. I pressed my lips to hers gently as I felt joy wash over me.

Valarie’s P.O.V

“Can you put down your foot for me?” the doctor asked.

I gently slid myself off the hospital bed and put both feet on the ground. I stared at the bulky boot that went over the top of my cast to protect it, it was the ugliest thing I’d ever seen. I sighed and stood up slowly, holding onto the bed to steady myself. When I was steady enough, I took a few steps, cringing with every click of the boot against the floor.

“You should be okay to go home today, but you’ll need to come in for a check up every fortnight,” the doctor informed me.

I sighed and looked at my parents. They didn’t know that there was some bad news in all of this good. Only the doctor and me knew, and I wasn’t prepared to tell anyone else yet. My parents and the doctor left me alone in the hospital room to gather my belongings by myself.

“Valarie?” a soft, familiar voice echoed around the room.

I froze where I was, not sure whether to run over to the person or just stay where I was. I slowly turned around to see the face I’d wanted so badly to see again. Jack stood in the doorway looking like a complete mess. His clothes were dirty, he hadn’t shaved, his hair was flat and he looked like he hadn’t slept in a very long time. I could help but laugh at the way he looked.

“Valarie!” he said again, hurrying across the room to embrace me.

“Whoa, carefully,” I murmured as I was nearly knocked off my feet, “You smell, really bad.”

Jack pulled away and I laughed again but stopped when I saw tears in his eyes. I put a hand up to his cheek as he wrapped his arms tighter around my waist.

“Hey, it’s okay Jack,” I whispered.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“More or less.”

“I can’t believe they were going to turn it off. I tried to stop them but-.”

“What?” I cut him off.

“Huh?”

“What were they going to turn off? Who?”

“Your parents, they were going to turn off your, your life supported,” He stuttered.

“They what?” I repeated, feeling anger boil up inside of me.
“Valarie, are you ready?” Mom called out.

I peered around Jack to look at my mother. Rage had lifted it’s head inside me and I knew I wasn’t going to be able to control myself?

“How long was I in a coma for?” I asked angrily.

“Two weeks,” Mom murmured.

“Why were you going to turn my life support off?” I growled.

“We, who told you that?”

“I doesn’t matter who told me! How could you even think about doing that! I’M YOUR DAUGHTER!”

I was so angry I was shaking and I felt Jack stand behind me and wrap his arms around my body so that I wouldn’t attack my mother.

“Valarie, it doesn’t matter now. We need to go,” Mom continued.

“It matters to me!” I shouted, “I don’t want to go home with you, Mom. I need to be with the one person who believed in me until I can calm myself down.”

I grumpily tugged on Jack’s hand and lead him out of the room, leaving my stunned mother behind.