25- just another day

I wonder if Hunter is alright?

Ever since we got back I have ignored his advances. I refuse to be alone with him, I have rejected his endless attempts. Yesterday he was teasing me about spaghetti sauce on my lip, so I just wiped it off and said thanks.

I applied at Aquatic World and went out of my way to make sure our shifts didn't line up. Eventually it all got easier though. He took the hint and stopped texting me and cuddling up next to me.

But I'd be lying if I said I don't yearn for him to kiss me. He looks just as good as he has always been at school. I'm pretty sure he even has a girl he has his eyes on now.

It has been a whole month since we got back. Not much has really changed. I get rides from Andréa in the morning, help Eli and Luke with their homework, then I go and work till 8:30.

So far I have successfully avoided talking to Hunter. All my feelings finally feel like they are disappearing.

I open the huge front door, "Is anybody home?"

My voice echos up the states and throughout the entire house. I shut the door behind me and scurry up the stare. When I turn around the corner, someone runs into me.

I look up, my heart hoping to see Hunter.

"Woah," Collin grabs my elbow to steady me.

"Sorry," I try to sound happy, "What are you doing home? I thought you had work?"

Collin brushes his hair out of his eyes, his rings catching the light, "Uh, no I have today off. I'm going out tonight."

Apparently him and Aliyah broke up. She ended up cheating on him with some baseball player. Unsurprisingly.

"Oh?" I quirk my eyebrows at my foster brother.

"Ok. Don't be fucking weird," He rolls his eyes but laughs at me.

I'm thankful for Collin over these last few weeks. I wouldn't say we are best friends, but we are friends. Sometimes we watch Adventure Time in the mornings when nobody else is awake. It is almost like an unspoken agreement.

"Who is she?" I cross my arms over my chest, leaning against the wall.

"She is the class president," He hesitates, "Harmony Allbright."

My eyes widen, "You mean the really cute nerdy girl in our weights class?"

He nods and then pushes past me, "Yeah, well I gotta go. Tell mom I will be home for dinner."

"Ok," I yell, staring at the place where he was merely seconds ago.

The door slams shut and I am left alone again. I change into sweatpants and a large hoodie, kicking off my shoes. For the first time in a while I am alone in the huge house.

I plug in my phone then hurry downstairs. After I snatch a bag of chips from the cabinet and a soda from the fridge, I plop down onto the couch.

I scroll through shows on Netflix aimlessly. I don't know what to watch but I settle for a cooking show.

The front door opens and shuts, "Did you forget your keys again? Collin you really should-"

I turn around to face a honey haired boy, carrying a box full of doughnuts.

"Oh."

He smiles awkwardly, "Practice ended early..."

I nod and turn back to the flat screen. I expect for him to leave me alone and go upstairs, but instead he sits down next to me with sugary fried dough in his fingers. I try to focus on the TV.