9 - too good

The entire day I feel a pep in my step. It is contagious because it seemed to infect everyone around me. I finally made a friend to sit with at lunch so I don't have to hide in the library anymore.

Riley is in my Stats class and we bonded over how much we hate it. Eventually, they talked to me about their girlfriend and I told them about my boyfriend's recent behavior. I wouldn't consider us friends but hey, I need to talk.

"You should really consider talking to the others about it. They would know if anything is going on." Riley stabs at their broccoli with their fork absentmindedly.

I let out a big sigh, "But what if I am over thinking it? What if it's nothing?"

"You aren't. It sounds like something is going on and even if it is nothing, checking in won't hurt anything."

I stare into their light brown eyes and then their piercings. Riley is right for sure, but how do I do it without being overprotective? I can't just waltz in and ask. I mean, I could but that would be stupid.

Then it clicks. Reunion night is coming up. It's when all the adopted foster kids and their family go to the orphanage and reunite. I could just poke around when I'm there. Then I can also meet the new guy.

"You're a genius. I could kiss you," I say and ignore Riley saying "Please don't."

The rest of the day goes by pretty fast and I couldn't be more excited. I even make it to Hunter's car before him after throwing everything in my locker.

I stare at Hunter in his football jumper and tight skinny jeans. Of course he is wearing black and white checkered Vans. My eyes catch on the earring in his ear. I didn't know he had a piercing.

"Wow, you really are excited aren't you?" Hunter laughs at my excitement but I don't even flinch.

I climb into the dark gray Mitsubishi, my knee bouncing while Hunter turns the key.

"Ok so just so you know, you have to be extremely quiet around certain animals. The polar bears get pretty pissy when people are loud, not that you are normally loud." Hunter turns around in his seat and backs out, turning and then we are on our way.

Suddenly, Lucky Strike by Troye Sivan flows through the speakers and I am pleasantly surprised.

"You listen to Troye?" I look at him looking like a gaping fish.

His ears turn pink but he nods, "I have both albums in my glovebox."

Immediately I turn forward and open the compartment. At least thirty album cases stare back at me. Alanis Morisette, Bush, Troye Sivan, Avril Lavigne, Cage the Elephant, and even the Spice Girls.

"Jesus. We have very similar taste in music," I laugh when I pick up Melodrama.

"Do you mind if I put this in?"

"Sure thing," He smiles.

I hit play and immediately I'm enveloped in Lorde's nostalgic sound.

I did my makeup in somebody else's car.

We order different drinks at the same bars.

I sing along with no shame in knowing all the words. I know I can't sing worth a damn but Hunter fucking can.

My eyes widen and I look at him, "You're voice is so good. Please tell me you're in the music program at school."

Hunter looks at me and shakes his head with a laugh, "No I could never sing half the songs they do. None of it is stuff I want to sing."