20 - city boy

I eat three bowls of the soup Don prepared, waiting for Hunter to walk through the door. He didn't, so I found myself getting sleepy.

I stand up and help Jessie wash the dishes, Kim decided to go to be hours ago while Don watches TV in the living room, the small black dog on her lap.

"You can head on up to bed, Jaime. I've got the rest."

"Are you sure?" I ask and rinse another bowl, eyes dropping.

She nods, "Head on up to bed."

I wipe my hands on the dishtowel and start to walk out, then I stop.

"When will Hunter be back?"

"It still might be a while, I will let him know you're upstairs."

I smile then walk over to her, hugging her tightly, "Thank you... Mom."

She freezes and then hugs me, I try to ignore the way she clasps onto me. I can tell it meant a lot to hear that from me.

"Goodnight, Jessie," I say softly.

She nods with a smile, ruffling my hair, "Goodnight, Jaime."

I head upstairs after calling out a goodnight to Don and Luke, who has been watching TV since we got here. I open the door and shut it behind me, throwing myself onto the bed.

What could possibly be taking Hunter so long? Is Hannah out there with him? Or Collin? Jealousy seeps into my veins, but I quickly shut it out. He is just helping.

• • •

About an hour later, Hunter opens the door. His hair drips down his shoulders and chest as he walks around in sweatpants. I sit up and inhale gently, watching him enter the room and smile softly at me.

"Did I wake you up?" He whispers.

"No," I lie and watch him cross the room to the bed.

"Liar, go back to sleep," He pecks my forehead.

I reach up and tug on his neck, bringing him down to my level in the bed. I kiss him softly, not letting him go.

He tries to pull away after awhile, but I keep him there, our lips moving against each other.

Eventually he climbs onto the bed, me beneath him. I kiss him a little more, then pull away to stare up at him.

"I missed you."

"I was gone for a few hours... You were asleep when I left," He laughs softly.

I pull him down beside me, covering us both up and snuggling against his chest.

"I thought you didn't want me sleeping with you," He whispers against the shell of my ear.

"I changed my mind," I shut my eyes while his arm encircles my waist from behind.

He squeezes me against him and kisses the back of my neck once.

"Sweet dreams, baby," He whispers.

"See? That's better."

"It is," He nods.

I smile and kiss him one last time, "Goodnight, Hunt."